Those Waiting for Their PS4s Didn't Have an Especially Merry Christmas

Bah humbug

Sony’s next generation console has officially attained must-have gadget status, as evidenced by this bizarre New Year padding post by a Nottingham newspaper. The story plots the toils of a “spoiled" family Christmas, after British retailer Argos failed to deliver the recently released PlayStation 4 on time. There were tears as far as we can tell.

Apparently, the parents of 11-year-old Deakon Roe ordered one of the sought after systems on 17th December – presumably after reading one of our stock updates on the subject. The guardians were told that the £458 gift would arrive in time for 25th December, but frequent delays saw it pushed back until after the big day.

"We had to sit Deakon down on Christmas Eve and tell him that he had nothing for Christmas,” said Nicola Roe, the youngster’s mum. “He said, 'It's okay mum, don't cry'. I could see he was trying to put on a brave face. It put a downer on the whole of Christmas Day. My husband and I got £50 each on Christmas Day as a present so we gave it to Deakon. We felt really bad.”

The console eventually arrived on 28th December, and the couple were offered a refund on the machine’s postage and a £30 gift voucher in order to make up for the slow delivery. Said compensation and bonus Christmas money should allow little ol’ Deakon to really expand upon his new system’s software library. We bet he’s not putting a brave face on it now, huh?

[via nottinghampost.com]

MANTAGTJ001

MANTAGTJ001 said:

11 - with a PS4 - some parents have no idea, never mind the fact yes, he is playing an 18 rating game........BLAME THE PARENTS, plus, he wouldnt of missed out on his console if he had a PS3 and he would have plenty of games to choose from....isnt Knack the only "suitable" FULL game on PS4 ?? Probably buy him GTA V when it comes out on PS4 too.......

SPOIL your kids and they will surely pay you back........by smashing phones up, graffiti, underage pregnancy, Greed.

Okay I will get off my high horse now.........in my day , grumble grumble :)

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I was at a GameStop yesterday and the store clerks were talking about how a 6 to 8 year old kid approached them asking to purchase GTA 5. The parents were there to sanction the sale, but even the GameStop employees had to shake their head at that one.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

I dont feel bad for the kid. Its not like he had to wait weeks or months for his gift. Three little days. Why should they feel bad? also I agree with the first post.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

I didn't manage to get a PS4 for Christmas and im 28!
And the kid obviously knew he was getting one because he looks like the sort of kid whose parents wouldn't dare not get him the gift he asked for. £458 for a Christmas present.....absolutely obscene.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

I remember back when I was a young un having to share a Master System with my siblings and saving up Paper-round money for a Mega Drive. Times sure have changed

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I can understand how the parents felt about this. I ordered something for a Christmas present for someone and even paid the extra shipping fee to make sure they got it by Christmas. Then UPS had some problems here in the US and alot of people didn't get stuff for Christmas. I was disappointed that I couldn't give that person their gift till the day after Christmas after the family left and all that. I am just glad it wasn't a present for my son. So yeah I can understand how the parents felt.

Realportugeezer

Realportugeezer said:

I still remember the day when I was bought an ageing PSone for Christmas in 2002 with a sole copy of Rally Championship. I was the happiest kid in the world having only previously had a Game Boy Color then Game Boy Advance as consoles - spending that money so early on a kid is only going to lead to tantrums and disappointment/bankruptcy in the future... SIGH