The Writers Guild of America Absolutely Adored The Last of Us

Posted by Kell Andersen

And, uh, Lost Planet 3 as well

It seems that everyone loved The Last of Us: we loved it, you loved it, we loved it some more, GLAAD loved it, and now the Writers Guild of America is joining the bandwagon, too. The organisation holds a yearly award show that honours the best writing that the film and video game industries have to offer, and Naughty Dog's opus is up for the coveted Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing prize.

The full list of nominees include: The Last of Us, God of War: Ascension, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Lost Planet 3. It's a slightly perplexing list to be sure, especially in a year that graced us with such outstanding scripts as BioShock Infinite and The Wolf Among Us. However, before we make any further judgements, let's take a look at the range of characters that Joel and Ellie could soon be rubbing shoulders with.

Previous winners of the purportedly prestigious prize include Dead Head Fred, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, and, uh, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. So perhaps it really isn't such an illustrious award after all. In fact, the guild has been fraught with controversy recently due to what some regard to be a needlessly bureaucratic nomination system. Regardless, it's always nice to see Naughty Dog showered with more well deserved accolades. Because when all's said and done, it can't all be for nothing.

[via destructoid.com]

Dead Head Fred was amazing. I'd totally forgotten about that game. Man, what an under-rated gem.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

So, am i the only one in the world that thinks TLOU was very good, but not THAT good?

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

@Bliquid nope, I wasn't blown away either. I enjoyed yes but it wasn't ground breaking gaming. On a par with dishonored and farcry 3, story was a little better than those. Seriously though star wars? Shocking. Where is beyond two souls ??

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@DeHorror1975 : My problem was i came in with totally different expectations.
I thought it would be a semi-open world survival game, and i found a story driven tunnel.
If i knew it all along, i would probably appreciated it more.
Besides the Crafting/Inventory management, that was plain ridiculous and dragged me more often than not out of immersion.
I mean, seriously? I can bring along only 3 knives that break every time i use them?
Please...
I understand it was made to balance the "survival" aspect, but that's exactly what i found wrong in TLOU: it hadn't a coherent vision gameplay wise.
That, along with Allie talking loud and running in front of clickers and thugs without being noticed AT ALL by them completed the job of a "meh" first run.
Knowing all this, i played it again and enjoyed it more, but i still can't consider it an absolute masterpiece.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

@Bliquid exactly, only 3 knives and how many guns? Stupid. I was expecting what your were. It was very straight forward and no turning back. Nail bombs and Molotov's kept me entertained.

JMC

JMC said:

@Bliquid
I also didnt't enjoy The Last of Us a lot, and I have yet to finish it. It has high production values, but the gameplay isn't that good, IMHO.
For me, Tomb Raider had better gameplay even if the story wasn't as good, making it a better game.
Bioshock Infinite also had a better story, IMO, and, for me, it had an advantage as I don't play FPS and was pleasantly surprised by it.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm glade Arkham Origins was on there, that game had a fantastic story.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

The Last of Us definitely deserves the award, everything about it is worthy of the highest praise. It seems like The Last of Us is nominated for a new award every week, yet it didn't win GOTY? That's bull.

I'm glad to see Ascension up there, I thought it had a good story and was only brought down by the fact that Santa Monica promised us a more human Kratos, but failed to deliver outside of a few moments.

goonow

goonow said:

WHAT!!! Bioshock has a far more absorbing storyline than most of the games on that list. God of war?! Good game, but its storyline is just an excuse to disembowl another cyclopse!

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@JMC @RyoHazuki @Bliquid devs obviously can't deliver on a true sandbox that still has good plot and graphics but isn't too buggy to enjoy playing on a 256mb system. The sequel could be sandbox like MGSV, and TLOU could turn into one of the greatest story-driven SP intros to a franchise/universe ever. I'd play a sandbox TLOU2 on PS4 cause it could be effing enormous in terms of crafting and scope of locales. Not to mention next-gen. Please?

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@charlesnarles: i would have gladly sacrificed TLOU's visual grandeur ( which, imho, was so barouquely detailed it felt unrealistic) for some more freedom and less idiotic npc AI.

As for the plot, well, it's not that good, still imho.
Atmosphere and charachters were well rendered, but the story was kinda seen.
Don't misunderstand me, i think it is a very good game overall.
Just over glorified, that's it.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Bliquid that's what I meant; it's meh as a stand-alone, but it's got potential to be a killer prologue. Cliffhanger ending + overly detailed characters and setting + plot holes = planned sequel

Zeboro

Zeboro said:

I absolutely loved the story in TLOU which is why I regard it as one of my favorite PS3 games. However, if I move past the story that blinds me I see some pretty shallow gameplay. TLOU is probably going to win this award due to its competition being pretty nonexistent.