Sucker Punch: You'll Need to Play inFAMOUS: Second Son Twice to See It All

Smoke and mirrors

Delsin Rowe, the star of upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive inFAMOUS: Second Son, may have already rubbed you up the wrong way with his sly smiles and irritatingly hip beanie hat, but just like previous protagonist Cole MacGrath, he remains something of a blank book. As with prior entries in the Sucker Punch produced property, you’ll be free to shape the superhero in the manner that you wish – and director Nate Fox reckons that you’ll need to play through the game twice to see everything that the release has to offer.

“The choices that you make along the way will not only impact Delsin’s story, but also the way that his powers mature and evolve, and the way that other characters around you evolve and change,” he told our friends over at VG247 as part of a meaty telephone conversation. “It’s very, very different. You’ve got to play the game twice to see it all.” Fox reiterated that the title will feature more powers than the smoke and neon abilities that we’ve already seen, but hinted that these may not be fully detailed until around the time of the open world escapade’s release.

However, he was willing to confirm that the Seattle-based studio’s invested a lot of work into improving the believability of the title’s sandbox – an attribute made possible due to the power of Sony’s new system. “The game world does react to you,” he stressed. “You make choices throughout the game with pretty serious consequences, so that serious choice and consequence theme is still there. You matter in the world.” One relationship that will evolve during the course of the campaign is the one with your brother Reggie, who’s torn between family and his role as a police officer.

If you’re worried that the sequel's morality may still be a little on the nose like its PlayStation 3 cousins, Fox insists that while the game will still let you know which path you're taking, it won’t reveal the consequences of your actions immediately. “We try and make it pretty clear when you’ve done something evil, mainly because it really sucks when it’s nebulous,” he concluded. “But at the same time we try to put situations in front of the player that are frankly tough, because that’s what games are good for.”

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding – but fortunately you won’t have to wait too long to dig out your DualShock 4-shaped spoon. As announced late last year, the next-gen adventure's set to take flight on 21st March in North America, and you should probably expect to see a lot more of the release in the run up to launch. In the meantime, check out VG247’s extensive report for more information. Are you itching to waft away the fog of mystery surrounding this title? Extract our powers in the comments section below.

[via vg247.com]

SuperSilverback

SuperSilverback said:

Cant wait for this. Hopefully Electricity powers make a comeback, and ice. Ice launch + Electricity glide was awesome in inFamous 2.

@SuperSilverback Agreed, the ice launch was amazing. I think the controls have always been the best thing about the inFAMOUS games. Sucker Punch knows how to make you feel awesome. All of its games — Sly Cooper included — have always felt super responsive to me.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't recall playing the 1st 1 twice, the ending had enough going on as it was, but I played the 2nd ending twice to get both endings. I didn't play the whole game twice though, just played the whole game good, then started from the final choice and stood on a corner rooftop for about 3 hours killing civilians below me until they let me play the evil ending, which had a better story line (the duel) but worse gameplay. Maybe.

Probably be 3 years before I get to this one, maybe the sequel will be out by then and I can get the 1st free w/ PS+.

@rjejr I assume you'll probably be able to do it that way in this one, too. However, I believe you needed to play through inFAMOUS 2 twice to unlock all of the evil powers, too, right? I think that's what Fox is referring to here.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Hmmm, I'm kind of hoping that it isn't just one way or the other again. Good versus evil with nothing in between and no reason not to pick the choices from the same line of thought each time. But it's looking like it will be, no matter how Fox tries to pretty it up.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@rjejr clearly you had a slight sanity lapse and your moral compass was lacking somewhat, slaughtering for three hours doesn't make you evil, you should have been forgiven!

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

This is one of the main reasons I bought a ps4 this early. I absolutely cannot wait for this game. My wife just played through the first two and she's also stoked!

Spidernoir

Spidernoir said:

The thing about inFamous is that in reality, there's no such thing as good or evil.

There's merely type 1 Anti-Hero and type 4 Anti-Hero. Type 1 is what Positive Karma Cole is, Type 4 is what Negative Karma Cole is.

inFamous doesn't really have an evil side IMO. Most of "evil" Cole's actions at the core were beneficial. Even the Evil Ending in 2 wasn't really evil, he had to make a hard decision, conduits lives or the humans lives. Even the good ending was morally ambiguous, he sacrificed other people without asking them if they wanted to live or die, he made the decision for them, thus killing innocent conduits in order save humanity.

The neutral decision would have been to do nothing. Let the plague run its course.

The whole point of inFamous is that no matter how hard you try, you can't save everyone.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@ShogunRok Yeah, that is an issue. When I played inFamous, I made evil choices partially to unlock powers, which I don't think is a good thing, messes up the story if your punished for following your emotion with the choices.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

I'm glad to hear this as I intended to do so anyway I just hope both sides of the story are super long way longer then infamous 1 & 2!!!!!! this is part of the main reason why I love the infamous franchise!!! =D

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

I'm fine with inFamous's morality system. I think that, when games make you choose, it should be on the nose.
The 'moral grey area' idea works better if that's the only option, a la The Last of Us.

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

Am I the only one wondering "Why is this news?"
It seems natural because you had to do that in the first two games.