Sneaky Sony's Been Testing PlayStation Now in Journey

Don't stop believin'

Have you braved your way to the top of Journey’s beautiful mountain recently? If so, there’s a good chance that you may have encountered another intrepid adventurer playing the thatgamecompany exclusive via Sony’s just announced cloud streaming service PlayStation Now. That's because the platform holder has revealed that it’s been using the critically acclaimed digital download to quietly test the on-demand technology.

The tidbit comes courtesy of Destructoid chief Dale North, who rushed straight to the Japanese giant’s CES booth in order to get an early glimpse at the firm’s latest innovation. “What's neat is that multiplayer works between proper console games and cloud games,” wrote the impressed editor. “I learned that Sony was testing Journey with console players with them having no idea that they were paired with cloud players.”

As for the technology itself, apparently the demo on display works like a dream. “It took me several minutes to wrap my head around the fact that I was playing a perfect copy of The Last of Us on the Vita,” North continued. “It was exactly like a Remote Play experience, complete with triggers being mapped to the rear pad. Gameplay was very responsive and completely lag free. Sony told us that a Gaikai server from down the hall was running the game.” Who’s impressed, then?

[via destructoid.com]

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Sounds brilliant :P But i bet the UK & Europe will get it in 2015 :( Can't SONY get more people to work on it so we can get it quicker...well i think that about every future thing tho :D

Lionhart

Lionhart said:

If open beta begins later this month does that mean that Closed Beta is going on now?

@Lionhart Well, this guarantees that they've been testing it internally for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony employees have some form of access to this in their homes, though.

Lionhart

Lionhart said:

@get2sammy, yes, I'm sure you are correct. I just wonder if that means that us PS Plus members will get early access to PS Now. If so I really would be eager to test out stream The Last of Us and Dragon's Dogma to my PS Vita!

@Lionhart My guess is that the beta will be limited to a handful of titles. They've also said that PS4 and PS3 compatibility is coming before Vita, so expect the beta to be on the consoles.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

More great news from Sony. With the UK also turning towards ps4 over xb1, hopefully they'll speed things up and roll it out this year?

gbanas92Staff

gbanas92 said:

This is so awesome! Multiplayer working between cloud and console gaming sounds like an amazing thing, especially if it works right!

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@get2sammyb so stoked to play PS3 games on 4 this month/summer! I'm seriously giddy thinking about how much better everything will run : ) (cough Bethesda ahem)