inFAMOUS: Second Son Could Only Be Made on PS4, Says Sucker Punch

Posted by Kell Andersen

Takes full advantage of the new hardware

inFAMOUS: Second Son may just be the most intriguing PlayStation 4 exclusive set to release over the coming months. Its stunning visuals, fascinating morality system, and deliciously angsty protagonist are giving us frissons of excitement. It's also about superheroes, which is always a good thing. And it seems that our excitement is justified, as developer Sucker Punch has been hard at work attempting to craft a game that truly makes the next-gen machine sing.

At a press event in Taiwan, brand development big-wig Ken Schramm was on hand to answer media questions in regards to the upcoming open world title, and his comments were quite illuminating. In particular, he stressed that the superhero sim would only be possible on the shiny new box. The ability to implement intricate lighting effects and advanced artificial intelligence were given as examples of complex systems that simply wouldn't have been feasible on the PlayStation 3. This declaration, along with a short gameplay demo, was met with raucous cheers and thunderous applause, and rightly so, as the release looks absolutely terrific.

Are you a sucker for the inFAMOUS franchise? Do you think that its action gameplay is lightning in a bottle? Perform some pathetic parkour in the comments section below.

[via dualshockers.com]

LDXD

LDXD said:

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible on PC, xbox1 or even the Wii u but that's just me

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

The sooner I can shoot people in the face with neon the better.

@LDXD The Wii U and Xbone aren't powerful enough and it technically is on PC.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@BornOfEvil I doubt that seriously and what I mostly get from the article is that it couldn't be done on the ps3 and spec wise the xbox1 and ps4 is almost identical so in other words the game is so technically advanced that they couldn't even get it to run on the xbox1 even if they had to downgrade a few minor things to get it to work? I don't believe that for a second

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@LDXD He means that all the new gloss and A.I wouldn't have been possible on ps3 because of its dated hardware but it is possible on ps4. They wouldn't make it for XB1 because sucker punch are 1st party devs (i believe). C 'mon man this is standard talk when devs are talking about the new system they are working on they always talk it up, besides it's probably comforting developing for ps4 when compared to the complexity of the ps3.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@ReigningSemtex lol I know its just the title is misleading to me.
Anyway I still have to play through the first two I just got on sale not to long ago, this may get me to get a ps4 if not I'll wait till around September

hoffa007

hoffa007 said:

The title of this article misleads people into thinking somethin different, the infamous games are a sony brand, just like halo on xbox or titanfall on xbox they are xbox franchises, all the writer is saying here is its to advanced for the ps3, if it wasnt a sony exclusive it would br available on all platforms well maybe not wii u as even watchdogs has been dropped from wii u now

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Could it be made on another platform? Absolutely. Could it be made on another platform without quality degradation? Probably not. I'm pretty sure that is what they mean. Dumb it down enough and it COULD be made for N64.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Of course they could make it on xboxone and Wii u. Second and third rate versions. To get everything the game offers then you need a ps4. It basically wouldn't be the same game on Wii u or xboxone.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@LDXD if you play the first 2 infamous games and your not that into it then your probably better off waiting it out for a bit because there ain't much keeping me gaming on the ps4 at the moment. I'm waiting for tomb raider, metal gear ground zeroes and infamous other than those games there isn't much to talk about for ps4 yet. Ps3 has been getting a lot of love from me lately thanks to psn and that awesome January sale

goonow

goonow said:

Few developers are willing to take on the next gen challenge right now. Its expensive but will eventually be the norm, just like current gen. Companies like sucker punch really are paving the way for the other devs.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@ReigningSemtex that's my big problem to many great ps3 games. I'm getting I think 5 of them between now and the end of march
Chances are I'll get the ps4 towards the end of the year and just pick up this game then if I like 1&2

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

@LDXD it's called an exclusive for a reason! plus inFamous is one of the major symbolized games of PS3 and soon to be on the PS4 also

LDXD

LDXD said:

@iSolipsistJudas if you're trying to tell me the only reason this game is an exclusive is because of the almighty powerful ps4 then I'm gonna completely disagree with you if you are implying something else then I think we aren't on the same page

JustinX

JustinX said:

so they are telling us that pc cant achieve those good graphics, it is a good game but i guess they wont make a huge profit if that is the case