Ever Wanted to See Inside a PS4 Controller? X-Ray Saves the Day

Posted by Kell Andersen

DualShocking

It's the eternal struggle. You buy an expensive new console, take it home, carefully unbox it, and then you're suddenly hit with the uncontrollable urge to take it apart just to see what its insides look like. Unfortunately, you quickly remember that you've just dropped a truckload of cash on the shiny black box, so immediately dismantling it would probably be a considerable tactical error.

The mechanically minded among you can now rejoice, though, as Reddit user Jackatakk333 has recently posted an intriguing X-ray image of the PlayStation 4's controller. It may not be the full console, but it should hopefully tide you over until nabbing a replacement system isn't such an expensive proposition.

Amusingly, the user initially identified the subject of the picture as a PlayStation 3 controller. However, there's one significant reason that we're certain that this is a next-gen gamepad: the battery's much too small for it to be a DualShock 3. Does this photo quench your thirst for mechanical mayhem? Will your DualShock 4 be staying in one piece now? Swipe the touchpad in the comments section below.

[via reddit.com]

adf86

adf86 said:

There was an article on TheSixthAxis that some Duelshock 4 thumbsticks degrade very quickly with one editor's thumbstick degraded to the point that the outer layer starts splitting.Has anyone come across this problem?

@adf86 It seems to be quite a common problem online. I personally haven't encountered it yet, but I have heard about it happening, yes.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Nope and I play on the PS4 probably a little bit more than your average person.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

Why are (what im assuming are) the rumble motors not symmetrical on each side?

EyeDeeNO76

EyeDeeNO76 said:

@eLarkos "Why are (what im assuming are) the rumble motors not symmetrical on each side?" If you are talking about the weights at the ends of the rods sticking out the motors one is for light rumble and the other is for a heavier rumble and where the name DualShock derived. Fun fact there is a Japanese model SCPH-1150 for the PlayStation (PS1) which had only one light rumble motor and version this Japanese model release to the European and American markets call Dual Analog Controller (SCPH-1180) but Sony decided that vibration feedback would be removed from these versions of the controller. All versions of this controller had very long fatter hand grips and has three modes of operation digital, analog and a unique flightstick mode that is not available on the DualShocks.

Untitled

NEVeRDRoP

NEVeRDRoP said:

To be honest I'd still like to see the outside of the controller first.. Still waiting for my preorder...

Beaston61

Beaston61 said:

@adf86 - This has happened to my brother-in-laws original controller that came with the console. However, I have two and both are fully functioning beasts.

adf86

adf86 said:

@Beaston61 Sounds like it could be a problem with the first wave of controllers that were released then... maybe. By the way mate sorry when I was replying I accidentally clicked the the report link, I've sent an email to the Push Square team to let them know of my mistake, once really sorry... hope it doesn't cause you any inconvenience.