You Might Be Hearing About The Last Guardian Sooner Than You Think

Posted by Kell Andersen

The Late Guardian

The Last Guardian may just be the most excruciating case of vapourware in recorded history. We saw that stunning debut trailer way back before fire was invented, and since then we've been subject to an increasingly painful series of teases. First it was suggested that the title was being moved to the PlayStation 4, and then Jack Tretton finally confirmed that the Team ICO production does in fact still exist. More recently, fan favourite Shuhei Yoshida has been talking up the game's purportedly breathtaking visuals. It's no secret that we love the Worldwide Studios president here at Push Square, but we sure do wish that he'd stop teasing us.

And as if you weren't already drowning in inconclusive reports on the much anticipated game, a recent statement from the title's director is here to give you even more false hope. When asked by Japanese website 4gamer to give a comment in regards to upcoming projects and his aspirations for 2014, director Fumito Ueda said: "As soon as possible, I think I’ll be able to give some kind of update." In other words, you can look forward to hearing about the game in 2020. What do you make of this unabashed tease? Are you still excited for The Last Guardian? Wait impatiently in the comments section below.

[via 4gamer.net, dualshockers.com]

Itachi

Itachi said:

I kind of get the feeling this game was actually almost finished on PS3 then at the last minute a decision was made to bring it out on PS4. Coming from the legendary team that made ICO and SOC, this game screams of epicness. I'm not sure what's exactly the deal behind the wait, for all we know this could be one of the launch games for PS4's rumored VR unit given the level of mystery behind it. I just hope whatever they're doing this game turns out to be a masterpiece and well worth the wait.

@Itachi They did a very similar thing with ICO — started work on the PSone, didn't get it finished, converted to PS2 — so, yeah, I think this is definitely going to be a PS4 game now. I'm excited to see what it looks like.

JermaineEvent

JermaineEvent said:

Their last game (SotC) came out almost 8 years ago, it's been so long I've kinda lost interest in The Last Guardian. I've got faith in Team ICO but this game needs to revolutionary, beyond a 10/10 to live up to the hype as well as make up for this long wait. Anything other than that would personally be disappointing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb @belmont - It's probably on PSN so you can fully pay for a pre-oreder now for a digital game that will come out on Black Friday in 2016 when the servers will be down for 3 days. ;-)

3Above

3Above said:

@get2sammyb "The Last Guardian may just be the most excruciating case of vapourware in recorded history" your forgetting Versus.. I mean FF 15. A friend of mine swears its NEVER coming out no matter what Square says lol.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

If it comes to PS4 I'll probably end up buying it, but my goodness people talk about other developers taking a long time... this useless wait is beyond epic. Idk which is worse, Last Guardian or Final Fantasy 15 (or whatever you want to call it)

Spidernoir

Spidernoir said:

I'd say both, I wasn't even aware what FF15 was called before that, that's how vaporware it is.

Last Guardian WAS on my radar but now I'm not so sure.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

And lets not forget the King of Vaporware, The Duke! ;) Hail to the King, baby!

So, Last Guardian has a few years to spare before it even remotely comes into Dukes territory. :p

Can't wait to hopefully soon see and hear more about the game, though.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm just gonna wait patiently at this point, I'm sure that the game will come out sometime, I'm just not sure when that time. I think it'll be before PS5 though.

Swiket

Swiket said:

I definitely think that the wait for the next Half-Life game has been worse... at least we know The Last Guardian is being made.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

I hope I'm wrong but this just screams Duke Nukem Forever 2. It's gone from being something that could be incredible to a long-standing joke to now almost nothing. If it ever gets released, which I doubt, I just fear it's going to be dreadful. There's a reason it's been delayed and delayed and delayed. A shame really as it's the game that convinced me to go Sony when I was debating whether to get a PS3 or 360.