Want a Final Fantasy X-3? You Should Probably Pipe Up

All depends on demand

The unorthodox naming conventions of the Final Fantasy franchise look set to continue, as series scenario writer Kazushige Nojima has hinted that Final Fantasy X-3 could happen if enough fans ask for it. The property's popular PlayStation 2-era story arc is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the minute due to the impending Western release of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster on the PlayStation 3 and Vita. And in a book that launched alongside the title in Japan, the abovementioned Square Enix employee has hinted that a sequel is possible.

"If there's enough demand, then we may possibly see new developments," he said, as translated by Siliconera. "I would personally like to see a sequel like [Final Fantasy] X-3." The big question is: how much do you want it? Speak up in the comments section below. Oh, and don’t forget to check out the most recent video of the Japanese publisher's re-release running on the Vita, as it looks pretty impressive on the portable machine.

[via siliconera.com, joystiq.com]

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

@SuperSilverback Couldn't agree more.

And while I love FFX, that game, as well as FFX-2, ended on a solid note. Heck, X-2 got some 30 minute thing for after the credits in this remake!

I'd prefer that they make a really awesome game to finish FFVII...... AND HAVE AN HD REMAKE!!!!!!
..... Ahem............... Didn't mean to spaz out there....

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Jumping on the "finish properly numbered episodes first" train.
And i'd rather have a HD remaster of XII on Vita.
I still don't get why ppl hated it, i think the battle system and freedom were a true evolution for the series formula.
Nevertheless, most of the ppl who hate XII loudly loved XIII, so i guess that says something...
To wrap up: no thank you, no X-3.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

No please god no Square come on no please god no what the hell happened to you Square please god no what's wrong with you

SuperSilverback

SuperSilverback said:

@Cloud-San-VII i wish they'd remake Advent Children and stop making him seen like a whiney emo. He was badass in FF7, then they totally changed him.

@Bliquid i hated 12 the first time i played it. Played it a second time and absolutely loved it. Would be highly up for a HD vita port

Spidernoir

Spidernoir said:

Maybe they should focus on getting KH 3 done first before they start doing anything else ?

That said I'm all for FFX-3 as I enjoy both of the series. I just hope it isn't Turn-Based or if it is, at least make it fun.

Splat

Splat said:

I have actually never played a FF game. I have always meant to but never got around to it. The main reason being there has been so many of them and I have no idea where to start?

3Above

3Above said:

@Splat Start where you like, the story and characters are different from title to title, save for 10, 10-2 13, 13-2 & 13-3. Personally I started with FF7, then 13 then went back to play 8 then 13-2 and im eagerly awaiting 15

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Wait, so they're willing to make a X-3 if there's enough demand, but they still refuse to make a VII-2 even though there MORE than enough demand.

way2easy

way2easy said:

Did anyone else notice that Crisis Core (FF7) was an awesome game? I would like to see that remade for the Vita with a slightly overhauled battle system to make it less clunky. At the very least the psp version needs to be on the store for Vita as my UMD playing PSP died a long time ago. (what an amazing Soundtrack that game had!)

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@Bliquid To be fair, XII was quite different in feel to previous Final Fantasies. In most previous FF titles, you had an epic, large-scale storyline set inside an epic world. The reason XII gets less love is because the storyline could not match the world, although they obviously tried. To put it another way: It had amazingly expansive locales and dungeons but the storyline failed to truly tie it all together. It's probably because the game often take you to a new, glorious area, gives a bit of story, and then you could take so long to get to the next story-point that you've forgotten half the reason you're there to begin with. This is in contrast to another FF that gets its fair share of love and hate: VIII. VIII had a storyline that I would rate among the best in FF, but the traversable world, though diverse, wasn't as large-scale as the story.

As a sidenote, though XIII doesn't have a great storyline, it's one that is cohesive with its setting. I feel that's why it has more fans that one would expect.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@Cloud7794 : i agree with your points, but i would like to point out that the first 6 titles were more or less like that, a vaguely simple plot tied up through smaller seemingly unrelated small adventures.
Also, Ivalice! The story of XII lies in its world, not in a force spooned drama.
If only Mizuno didn't leave the development before the end...

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I hear this all the time from developers and games rarely come out after the fact

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@Bliquid The world of Ivalice is amazingly deep. I may have not played Vagrant Story (also in Ivalice if I remember correctly), but playing through FF Tactics and XII makes Ivalice one of the best fantasy worlds around to me. All the more reason the storyline in XII should have been either amazing or non-existent (first fully open-world FF?). What they handed us was just bad, and regrettably detracted much of the focus from the world it was in just by the sheer fact that you're trying to remember the last thing that happened.

I do get your point with the first 6 titles though, but XII's plot is just complex enough to let you down, knowing how much better it could have been. Besides, I think no one will forgive Square if they go back to the same formula from, say, FF II. If they do remake XII, I'd at the very least like them to add extra cutscenes and dialogue during the particularly long bits like The Feywood and pre-Tomb of Kings desert. They can't remove the story by this point, but I'd love if they took some care to improve it.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

@Cloud7794 : You have no excuses for not playing Vagrant Story!
These days, backlog has become a serious issue (...), but you MUST find a way to play it.
As for the rest, i agree with you, the lack of a coherent storytelling was the major drawback of XII, but i still think that was the direction to go for the future entries.
Plus, it had Yoshida's chara design, my true favourite.
Plus plus, it didn't have Nomura's chara design.
Yes, i hate him. Very much. I wish i could slap him to tears with a Yoshida's sketchbook.
So karma gave me 3 (THREE) consequent games with a pink haired main.
Oh, you, karma...

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

So three FF XIII games, which nobody asked for, and they may do an FF X-3, but they won't do what all FF fans have asked for and just remake FF VII? I really don't know what's going on behind the scenes at some of these companies these days and for as much crap as it's gotten, Nintendo seems to be the one major Japanese developer that hasn't gone completely insane since the move into the PS3/360/Wii generation. They just plug along and do what they do. These other companies are too busy changing franchises and trying to appeal to Western audiences at their own detriment.

emmamaybe

emmamaybe said:

Yes make it please!!! I'm so excited at the prospect of this. Pleeaaseee make this happen!!!