Talking Point: What Are You Playing This... Christmas?

One more sleep

We’ve all been forced to endure an avalanche of hype over the past couple of weeks, but as we frantically tap out this last-minute message, Christmas has virtually arrived. To be honest, we’re not overly fond of Brussels sprouts, charged family disputes, and terrible terrestrial television – but we are thrilled at the fact that the gaming industry shuts down for a couple of weeks, allowing us to catch up on a handful of games. But what are you planning to play over the break? Share your itinerary in the comments section below.

Sammy Barker, Editor

Can the Christmas break last for a year, please? At this point, I’ve got so many games that I want to play that I’m not sure that I’m ever going to actually get to them all. Taking top billing this year is Tomb Raider, but I’m also eager to spend some more time with Resogun and Killzone: Shadow Fall. In addition, I’ll be aiming to polish off The Walking Dead: Season One – but these plans are all subject to whether I can actually tear myself away from Gran Turismo 6.

Ben Potter, Video Editor

Over the Christmas break, I'll finally begin swashbuckling my way through Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag on the PS4. I've been looking for something to satisfy my open world itch, and by all accounts this'll do the job.

Jamie O’Neill, Retro Editor

Ever since Super Mario Kart in 1992, it’s been my tradition to play kart racers every Christmas. Last year it was Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, but this Christmas it’s all about the PS4 games. I first played a launch PS2 when my brother hunted one down in December 2000, so I returned that courtesy by sharing my PS3 launch purchase with him, and I’ll do the same with the PS4 during our family Christmas. I want to hand him a DualShock 4 and let him enjoy a realtime version of the February PlayStation Meeting’s gleaming Vekta City setting in Killzone: Shadow Fall, first. He loved eighties arcade shooters like Defender, which means that Resogun will be perfect, but I know he’s a racing game fan, so Need for Speed: Rivals will get the most prolonged play. I won’t forget my festive kart racing fix either, as I also have Crash Team Racing ready for a turbo boost on my Vita.

Kell Andersen, News Reporter

Due to unforeseen circumstances (read: shortages) I’ve only just received my PS4, so I'll be spending my Christmas slaughtering the Helghan empire and saving the last humans. When I'm not doing that, I'll be indulging in my tradition of replaying the year's best games over the holiday break. What will I be starting with? God only knows.

Orla Madden, News Reporter

I'll definitely be giving my PS3 some love this Christmas, as I've been neglecting it a lot recently thanks to Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS. My Godmother has purchased Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus for me, so I'll be spending a lot of time with that. A small bit of my time off work will also give me the chance to start Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, so I'm really looking forward to that, too.

Alex Stinton, Reviewer

While there'll be plenty of turkey consumed over the Christmas holiday, there'll be none of the gaming variety taking up my time with Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag still top of the menu. This tasty main course will be complemented with a side of Battlefield 4 and followed by a cheese board made up of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Dead Rising 3. Now you'll have to excuse me as I've made myself hungry with all of this talk of food.

Cale Stolle, Reviewer

I'm playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. With my oldest nephew off school this week, we have time to dive into this together. I expect we will spend most of our time freezing, electrocuting, burning, and smashing each other into the ground. We always make LEGO games last a lot longer than they should.

Graham Banas, Reviewer

While Sony's busy replacing my faulty DualShock 4, I've had the opportunity to dig into my PS3 backlog. I just beat Sly 2 the other day, with Sly 3 now on the immediate horizon. I also plan to play the new The Walking Dead: Season Two – if Telltale ever gets around to making the Season Pass available. Other than that, I’ll be exploring my dark side in Hotline Miami.

Joey Thurmond, Reviewer

With what time I'll have in between Christmas festivities, I would love to play some Battlefield 4 multiplayer and Assassin's Creed III. And since I'll be riding along with my family to visit relatives this weekend, I would also like to delve back into Uncharted: Golden Abyss for a bit.

Nathan Michalik, Reviewer

I'll be spending some time in Eorzea (Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn) to complete the Starlight Celebration events, so look out for a Black Mage dressed as a snow man in the new Crystal Tower dungeon. I'm also looking forward to finally getting a chance to play Tearaway.

That’s us all talked out, which means that it’s your turn to take centre stage. What will be keeping you occupied this Christmas? Are there any games that you’ve been waiting to play? Is there a particular title that you’re hoping to receive as a gift? Share your festive schedule in the comments section below.

Splat

Splat said:

Still inching closer to level 50 in Borderlands 2. I'm at level 42 at the moment. I also plan on starting The Walking Dead Season 2 later on today when the Season Pass finally hits US PSN.

@Confused_Dude True story: we have pet hedgehogs. The pictured 'hog isn't a typical British baby hoglet, though. That's according to my Mum, anyway.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

I sincerely hate christmas so I have holed up at home playing GT6 and some Resogun, didn't like it at first but sammy somewhat "talked me into it" and now im addicted. Thanks. You virtual crackdealer. Let it snow! :D

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Knack, Tearaway and need to beat Persona 4 The Golden, already.

Still need 3 trophies to platinum Resogun.

Confused_DudeStaff

Confused_Dude said:

@get2sammyb Firstly, that's outstanding, and secondly you mustn't argue with Mama Barker's Hog knowledge.

Coincidentally, I would watch the hell out of Mama Barker's Hog Knowledge if it were a TV show, maybe a spot on Countryfile beckons?

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

I bought Tearaway, Runner 2 for Vita, Rayman Legends and Ratchet Clank Nexus for the PS3, let's see what i'll have time to play...

@ferrers405 I'm really enjoying Runner 2 on the Vita. It feels like you're playing finger twister at times, but it's great when a level clicks and you rocket through it.

Spidernoir

Spidernoir said:

Assassins Creed 4 , Sega Racing Vita, and depending on what I get tomorrow that I suppose.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Well for Christmas Eve which is today, I will be playing some quick games of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft in between getting ready for tomorrow. Since I will be busy alot today Hearthstone is the perfect game. I would like to get into A Link to the Past a bit more but I dont see myself doing that today.

As for tomorrow I will probably be playing Lego Marvel with my son on PS4 and whatever else Santa decides to bring me. I am hoping for some money or MS cards so I can get Season 2 of the Walking Dead. Also hoping for Tearaway and some other Vita games.

EGMagnus

EGMagnus said:

I'll be playing basically everything lol. On my top spot has to be Ni No Kuni which I cannot wait to start my journey in. Then I have Dragons Crown and TLoU to play through. All this with a side of Spleunky, Electronic Super Joy and the new Zelda and I think I have a nice holiday break line-up :D.

Grockumus

Grockumus said:

I'm definitely following Mr. Nathan Michalik's lead on this one; I'll be "vacationing" in Eorzea with some friends :P
(and hopefully get Tearaway with these PSN gift cards!)

sackninja

sackninja said:

I'm on chapter 8 of killzone shadow fall so I'll be finishing that off. I also finally have time for far cry 3 on ps3 and am currently addicted. I also need to get into rayman legends, Am of course playing some hearthstone and will probably start something on vita. 3ds will get no love for now. Games are just too expensive....

Splat

Splat said:

@get2sammyb - Runner 2 is a great game! I have the PS3 version and it's so addictive. The music and art style are just awesome.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm off for 3 days starting tomorrow, so I'm finally going to finish Puppeteer, Ni no Kuni, GTA V, Arkham Origins and the Ratchet & Clank collection.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Merry Christmas! I have just a little bit of AC4 to go before I have the 100% sync. Then it will be KZ : Shadowfall for me.

Interestingly, I am getting Shadowfall for Christmas, but last night I was on the PS Store and under PS+ exclusives (not instant game collection) it had KZ :Shadowfall for FREE! Naturally I downloaded it. I was very surprised, as I had not heard anything about them giving it away, and normally it is way too early in its life cycle for such a move. Anyone know anything about this?

EDIT: I tracked down the answer. The single player of Shadowfall is locked. It is only multiplier which is only open for a short free period between Chirstmas and New Year. Explains it.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

PS4: nothing (still waiting for Tomb Raider next month)

Wii U: Super Mario 3D World

Vita: Persona 4: Golden

3DS: Zelda: Link Between Worlds

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

PS4: Assassin's Creed IV

Vita: Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

PS3: Batman: Arkham Origins

3DS: Second playthrough of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Epic

Epic said:

Super Mario 3D World when the family is around and BBorderlands 2 when friends comes over.
Still gotta find a way to fix my PS3 internet connection/

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

@Gamer83: How is Arkham Origins: Blackgate on the Vita? I am tempted to pick it up but I keep hearing mixed review.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tasuki

Actually haven't played it yet, I have to wait until Christmas day. But, I will be sure to let you know how it is.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I gave one of my PS3s to my sis-in-law, so she's starting LBP and the American SHs (eclectic taste lol) As for me: AC4, KZ:SF, GT6, P4G, ZOE1&2, NNK, and so many others. I wanna play Skyrim on PC and Pokemon Y too tho! And possibly even more by tomorrow yeah lol

EyeDeeNO76

EyeDeeNO76 said:

Gran Turismo 6... and maybe Twisted Metal as I just got it two weeks ago. Than when I let my PS3 cool down I will try some of Sidhe Interactive's Shatter for PC I also just got it DRM free from the developer.

Untitled

calin1010

calin1010 said:

Fifa 14 with my brother, can't wait to start Borderlands 2, also really itching to buy Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us episodes, played the demos and now I need them

Lionhart

Lionhart said:

@get2sammyb, awesomeness on the Santa Hedgehog!

Well my sister and I are going to begin our co-op play of Borderlands 2 thanks to PlayStation Plus. I seriously hope Gearbox Software unveils Borderlands 3 at E3 2014.

I just purchased Persona4Golden today and I got EA's Fuse as a Christmas gift for my sister. I hope to take some time aside to focus on Rainbow Moon and Uncharted Golden Abyss along with sipping nog as I play God of War Ghost of Sparta through again.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

I'm gonna try to get my ratio to a more respectable number on Battlefield 4 multiplayer. Hard transition from being a COD fan (the glitching and patchwork that needs to be done doesn't help). And I hope to get deeper into either AC4 or Killzone SF

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

Playing Blazblue: Continuum Shift (and Extend), Killzone: Shadow Fall, Blacklight, and Maplestory. I'm just waiting for a PS4 RPG to whisk me away to failing college classes and complete seclusion from society. Okay, maybe not fail college classes, but no one would see me outside my room or classroom for months.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'll be getting Need for Speed: Rivals (PS4) and a PS4 camera so definitely that and the Playroom.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Shin Gundam Mosou (best Musou/Gundam ever in vita), Senran Kagura (platzing, final gameplay), Ys Celceta, Tearaway, Lego Marvel.

and many others which not focused.. too many games...

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I gonna play TWD Season 2 Episode 1 and get the Christmas event in Final Fantasy XIV done, then most likely Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (Need to get it platinum) or Atelier Ayesha

JMC

JMC said:

I'll play Valkyria Chronicles on my PS3. I can't believe I waited so long to start it but it is great! Other than that I'll play Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS and Lego City Undercover on the WiiU. Later today I'll star the second season of The Walking Dead now that the season pass is released.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I need to finish Tomb Raider so I can move onto other things. I've also been playing Mario 3D World recently.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tasuki

Well, started Blackgate. I actually think it's an above average game but can definitely see why it got mixed reviews. The hand-to-hand combat is as good as it's always been but the predator sequences, as mentioned in reviews, don't play out as well in 2.5D as they do in the 3D worlds of the home console games. The story is good but you have to bounce and I think it's worth experiencing if you're a big fan of the Batman universe but the game has bouncing from setting to setting and backtracking and due to this the story telling gets a little convoluted. From what I've played I'd say it's a good $15-20 purchase if you're a Batman fan, rental if not.