Latch onto Eleven Minutes of Oddly Specific Freedom Wars Footage

Handcuffed to your handheld

People in Japan must have more patience than the rest of the world. While we tend to fidget whenever a trailer fails to show an explosion for more than five seconds, this footage of PlayStation Vita exclusive Freedom Wars outlines the title’s control scheme in painstakingly precise detail. Did you know that the left analogue stick allows you to move your character?

There’s some value to the video as it offers a much better look at the hookshot mechanic. This can be used as both a navigational tool and as method to hold your foes in place. Latch onto their legs and you’ll be able to trip them up – while you can even pull yourself towards their noggins and give them a sharp jab in the eye.

The mode that Sony’s focusing on at the moment sees you working alongside your team to free a human hostage from a giant monster, before outrunning said adversary as you attempt to transport the hapless prisoner back to safety. It almost looks like a fusion of Monster Hunter and multiplayer classic 'Capture the Flag', which we suppose sounds interesting enough.

Still, we hope that we get a better trailer soon, because we feel like we’ve spent half an hour with an angry mob after sitting through this one. Is this title still on your radar, or are you disappointed by what’s been shown so far? Tug your thoughts into the comments section below.

[via youtube.com, dualshockers.com, vg247.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I expect to see gameplay uploaded from Jump Festa, so I'm not bothered. In fact, I think it was a smart idea for them to release a mechanics trailer, because it gets Japanese players acquainted with the controls and abilities beforehand, so gameplay clips shouldn't be so agonizing to watch.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

I already saw this a couple of hours ago nonetheless this is awesome gameplay! Guns, swords and rocketlaunchers count me in! The view distance is incredible ( Background). The torns are an awesome concept and i think this can work. I'm really looking forward to this game because it looks more polished than Soul sacrifice ( In the beginning) Furthermore, i saw 2 abductors! That means in one area there are more of those massive monsters than i have ever imagined.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@Epic agree! I don't know why Sammy isn't happy about this trailer. First time we saw some sharp visuals and some awesome mechanics. The torn mechanic is also really interesting.

@Epic @Sanquine Don't get me wrong, I think the mechanics look good — I just think they've been presented in a fairly dry manner here. I'm still really looking forward to the game.

@moomoo I think when you're using the hookshot and sprinting it'll probably get quite hectic. With this trailer, though, they were clearly taking things easy in order to demonstrate the controls.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm definitely intrigued. Being 583 hours into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I'm always on the lookout for a worthy separate experience. So far no luck. Ragnarok Odyssey was a letdown, and while I can't say this game will be good or not, it's definitely got my attention now. My only theoretical issue would be the enemies all look the same, and the urban environments probably won't stand apart from each other. But we'll see. And I'm curious to see how well the localization is, because that can make or break a western release for such a game.