Final Fantasy XIV Will Be Reborn on PS4 in April 2014

Posted by Kell Andersen

Finally

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster may be getting a new delay every fifteen minutes, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any Square Enix goodness to be had on Sony consoles. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has been kicking and screaming on the PlayStation 3 for a few months, and now its PlayStation 4 release has finally been dated.

You'll be riding a next-gen Chocobo through the luscious MMO in April 2014. But if that's too long to wait, a beta test for the updated version will be released on 22nd February – which, incidentally, is the same day that the new console releases in Japan. We recently reported that owners of the PS3 version will gain free access to the shinier new edition of the game, but it's also been announced that those who've already put hundreds of hours into the older version will be able to transfer their progress over. However, this is a one-way process, so once you've transferred your save file you won't be able to switch back. Then again, with the notoriously glitchy PS3 port, why would you want to?

Will you be upgrading to the newer edition, or are your travels in the land of Eorzea officially over? Get moody in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com]

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

I'm pretty keen for the PS4 version. A console Final Fantasy MMO has always appealed to me, but I always got the impression that the game was a little too ambitious for the PS3. Plus, it'll look gorgeous on PS4.

@k_andersen I want to try this too, but I'm put off by the subscription fee. Once you start playing monthly, you feel compelled to play it. I'd rather just spend while I'm enjoying it, and not feel forced to keep playing because I'm spending money.

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@get2sammyb Oh man, I totally forgot that it has a monthly subscription fee... That's a bummer. I guess I've just been spoiled by Guild Wars 2!

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I have extremely high hopes for this version. It's being built off the PC version, so almost everything that made the PS3 version painful should be resolved. It's also going to offer Remote Play and some very promising uses of the second screen feature.

In my opinion, the PC version is easily the best MMORPG out there today. Nothing else I've played has come close to the level of quality and entertainment. As long as they can keep the resolution 1080p, a smooth frame rate, and responsive controls, this will easily be 'the best place to play'. The director Yoshi P is doing a Live Letter Dec 14th where he'll demo the PS4 version as well as go further into it's extra features.

For those who might be interested, the PS3 version is only $10 right now for PS+ members in the US. If the subscription price intimidates you, think about it this way. For about the price of a normal launch game at $60, you'll be able to get 150 days of subscription time. ($10 for game + 30 days, and 4 months at less than $15 each). While broken, the PS3 version would still offer you a nice intro to the game as it's problems don't become overly apparent until close to endgame.

Also, I dare anyone to out DPS my Black Mage! http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/895742/

EDIT: $10 deal is over :( back to $40

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I read this as final fantasy Xv and my heart almost stopped. I really should stop reading these articles right after I wake up!

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

cool but i want to know when XV is coming! i just read it's wiki and found out its been in development since 2006....

AVahne

AVahne said:

Considering the fact that it's an MMORPG, why is there a need to transfer data from PS3 to PS4? Does the PS3 version not share servers with the PC version?

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

@AVahne PS3, PS4 and PC is sharing server and I doesn't see a reason, why data need to be transfer, since you currently, can play your PS3 character on PC (Require you own both a PS3 and PC version).

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

@AVahne and @artemisthemp : It's likely just an easy way to tell their audience that they won't lose their progress. It could also mean your personal settings (hotbars, HUD customization, gear sets, etc) because those are currently client side and not shared cross platform.

Even just being able to transfer client settings would be awesome.. trying to switch between PC and PS3 is already a pain because of this. I have to spend at least 20minutes manually syncing everything.

Here's a comparison of my PC/PS3 hud. Because they don't sync, you can see the differences.
PC: