You'll Be Tuning in to Netflix, Hulu, and More on PS4 at Launch

TV, TV, TV

Sony’s proven over the past few months that it’s not stupid – and thus it’s aware of how important entertainment applications are to the future of the PlayStation 4. But while its message hasn’t focused on media capabilities anywhere near as closely as its primary competitor, that doesn’t mean that it’s overlooked the functionality at all.

Writing on the PlayStation Blog earlier today, SCEA’s business development executive Phil Rosenberg has confirmed that there’ll be eleven apps available from 15th November in North America. Options will include favourites such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and Hulu, as well as Crackle, Crunchy Roll, EPIX, Redbox Instant, Vudu, and Yupp TV. Sports fans will also be able to stream content from NBA Game Time and NHL GameCenter Live.

Of course, this is just the beginning, with the platform holder promising that more services will be added soon. You’ll be able to find all of the apps in the ‘TV & Video’ section of the next generation console’s dashboard. Streaming solutions are yet to be confirmed for the UK, but expect the BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and LoveFilm to make the cut. Will you be using any of these? Press play in the comments section below.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

Itachi

Itachi said:

I actually prefer this over what Xbox One is doing with cable. Cable TV is slowly but surely dying out in favor of cheaper apps and streaming services and I think Sony really has chosen the right path.

RawShark

RawShark said:

I still think it's quite odd that Sony haven't made Netflix available to UK Vita owners, seeing as it's available in the States.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I always use the entertainment features of my PS3 and the likes of love film and channel 4OD will feature prominently in my PS4 usage.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nice. I just have one question would I have to buy a something like how Xbox has Xbox Gold membership to be able to use these apps?

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Redbox and YouTube sll the way. ...Hoped the interfsce for youtube on PS4 is better

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@Tasuki you should be able to use all online services without a Plus membership apart from multilayer.
It pays for itself in content though, well worth the subscription.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@KalofKRYPTON: Thanks for the answer. Yeah I am debating on getting the membership or not honestly it doesn't bug me that I have to pay for Plus membership having to do so with the 360 but I wanted to know what the plus membership offered besides multiplayer services.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'll most likely only use Netflix and Crackle, everything else is fairly useless to me.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

These sounds great (not sure how many will be available in Oz) but I am still disappointed that they are not supporting PlayTV, which we use all the time. It is the main reason I will keep my PS3 for a while.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Xbox has apps for IGN, Gamespot and Gametrailers. I keep hoping all these will be coming to PS4 at some point. At least IGN anyway, it's actually a pretty good app. I might download the NBA app on day one.

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

Happy that Crunchyroll and Netflix is ready ad launch, since I use them a lot on my PS3.
Hopefully Youtube won't be far behind.