Want to Play Killzone: Shadow Fall in 3D? Sorry, Remove Your Stereoscopic Goggles

Guerrilla Games flattens hopes

Cast your mind back to the three-dimensional days of 2011 and you may recall Killzone 3 comprising a sizeable portion of platform holder Sony’s stereoscopic push on the PlayStation 3. Guerrilla Games worked hard to implement the hardware intensive technology, and it ended up being a real showpiece for the feature. Unfortunately, with PlayStation 4 launch title Killzone: Shadow Fall, the Dutch developer’s ripped out the functionality faster than the Xbox One’s divisive digital rights management plan – but is there any chance that you’ll be pulling out your goofy goggles in the future?

“We currently don't have any plans for 3D support, but I'll pass your request along to the team,” a spokesperson on the franchise’s Twitter page revealed when quizzed on the topic. While the platform holder’s next generation system is perfectly capable of supporting stereoscopic 3D – well, aside from Blu-rays – the only PS4 title that currently adopts the technology is Frozenbyte’s puzzle platformer Trine 2. To be honest, we reckon that this functionality has been well and truly fragged at the time of typing – we just hope that you didn’t stump up for a swish television when the hype surrounding the feature was at its peak.

[via twitter.com, eurogamer.net]

fullyilly

fullyilly said:

PLEASE bring in the 3D support, my TV and eyes are begging for it. Next gen needs 3D...even if the tech is dying...I want it, so that should be enough reason right?

@fullyilly Unfortunately, I don't think you represent a big enough sample of people. I'm also quite fond of the 3D tech, but not enough bought it.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

Maybe in a few years but right now I don't think it has a big enough market. Maybe in Asia? Upgraded my TV from 1080i to 1080p a couple of weeks ago, today I bought a Vita and hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be upgrading from nexus 4 to 5 so I can make use of 4G with my Vita. Going to make full use of my PS4

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

@fullyilly I'd love 3D for this game too! I don't even have a PS4 yet.

Add 3D support to the PSVita too and I'll upgrade everything to 3D!

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

3D sucks, imho. Im glad they dropped that crap. Skip 3D and bring us holographic displays, then we're talking! ;)

rykkchii

rykkchii said:

3d is great but only if implemented well. super stardust and wipeout were fantastic in 3d. I can't help feeling disappointed at the lack of support on ps4.. after all most big action films have 3d versions these days. shame the games industry has given up too early

Epic

Epic said:

3D would've killed that framerate from the main campaign.

divinelite

divinelite said:

I love 3d, in fact 3ds is bought solely for that for me
I'll buy a brand new 3d full hdtv for ps4, it's a bummer if none aaa can play it in 3d sigh

Ryno

Ryno said:

I love playing games in 3D, I still play Wipeout HD in 3D.

Dichotomy

Dichotomy said:

3D was not the reason I got my new TV, nor was it anything I really cared about, but after playing a few games (including KZ3) in 3D, just because I could, I found myself really enjoying the technology behind them. While I'm not devastated that 3D seems to have died out in games, I feel that if enough people had had the tech to try it out it would have become a much more prominent feature in games and, perhaps, another selling point for Sony systems.

Hopefully Sony wont totally ditch the idea of of 3D games in the future and try again to show the world why 3D should be given a chance, this time I won't be so apathetic to it.