Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - PS4 Special

Greatness arrives

There’s not a whole lot of girth to this week’s edition of ‘What Are You Playing This Weekend’, we’re afraid. We wanted to put together a big PlayStation 4 launch special for you, but didn’t consider that most of our North American team would be too busy actually experiencing greatness to take part. As for our European editors, they opted to say little other than “29th November” between sobs. Still, we're sure that you'll make up for the brevity in the comments section.

Marcello Apostolico, Reviewer

Greatness no longer awaits, as it has finally been delivered to North America. The PS4 is out and I'll be spending the weekend playing through the family-friendly platformer Knack. This will be my first review for Push Square, and I'm excited to bring my honest opinion to the readers here.

Graham Banas, Reviewer

With so many new PS4 games to sink my teeth into, it's going to be hard to play just one. Luckily, I'm going to play everything. Contrast, Flower, Warframe, Battlefield 4, and Killzone: Shadow Fall all have my name on them.

Katie Rose, Reviewer

I love the excitement and uncertainty surrounding a new console launch. I'll be spending my weekend navigating my way through the uncharted territory of the PS4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Madden NFL 25, Knack, and Call of Duty: Ghosts – there are great things happening here. Also, I'm thrilled to be part of the Push Square team. I hope that you will enjoy my insights and opinions.

That’s all from us, but we implore you to share your gaming itinerary, too. Are you spending the weekend with your shiny new PS4? Don't worry if you haven't got the next-gen system yet – we also want to know what you’re enjoying on the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3. Share your schedule in the comments section, and then join us in two weeks' time for a second (hopefully longer) European launch special.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I am totally hooked on Resogun along with my son lol. Going to be play lots of that along with AC IV.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

No PS4 for me yet... I'll stay with Flower for Vita and Puppeteer for PS3 and some backlog.

@Tasuki I'm so happy everyone's enjoying Resogun. I was starting to feel the pressure of my frequent recommendation.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

@get2sammyb: Lol honestly I tried to stay away from the reviews of the games from around the web so that way I wouldn't be influenced. The fact that this game was free and a shoot 'em up is what sold me being an old school fan of shoot 'em ups.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Able to finish Gundam Breaker at last (not platinum though) I'll take amazing spiderman this week. Tearaway will have to wait till next year, because next week will be Ys

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@get2sammyb It'll be your turn soon!

Frankly, I'm not just impressed with Resogun, but Killzone as well. I read all these reviews about it being mediocre to above average. I tried Killzone 2 recently and through 2 or so chapters, I just don't like the way the game feels. Not even just the weight...but the holding down the L2 button (I think that's right) to crouch. Anyway, it's not just the graphics that have me taken in Killzone...I REALLY love the way it feels. I've only played through the first full chapter and it felt great. I thought OWL is used well, the open objectives...I'm not sure where the hate for the campaign comes from. For me, it's probably one of the better FPS campaigns I've played.

@ztpayne7 That's great, I'm glad you're enjoying it. To be fair, while there were a couple of low reviews, most of the Killzone scores sat around the 7 or 8 spot, which seems right in line with your impressions. I really enjoyed the tactical nature of the campaign levels I played, too - though I did find all of the controls a little difficult to wrap my head around. Granted, I only got to play for about 20 minutes at most.

I often wonder whether Killzone gets points deducted on the basis that people just really seem to dislike the series — almost to an irrational degree. Listen to some of the bigger podcasts, and you can just hear people groan when Killzone comes up. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why that is. Nevertheless, it sounds like this does have plot issues. To be honest, I'm more hyped for the multiplayer.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@get2sammyb yeah. I'm probably sitting around an 8, although that depends on the multiplayer, and probably also due to the fact that fps is not usually my favorite genre.

Just wanted to clear up that the issues and negative points I brought up were about killzone 2.

PMasterTy9

PMasterTy9 said:

I've been playing a little bit of Killzone. NFS, Resogun, and Warframe. Also been exploring the system.

@AD-80 Sure, why not? Killzone has an amazing fiction behind it, but Guerrilla seem to be unable to take advantage of it. Honestly, it's frustrating - and it makes me worry about their rumoured RPG project, as that genre relies even more on story telling.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

I will be waiting to get the Infamous: Second Son bundle when it releases in March. In the meantime I will be playing backlog of Wii U and 3DS games. I still need to beat Pokemon X!

UNC5052

UNC5052 said:

I've been playing Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed 4, Killzone Shadowfall, and Resogun

Splat

Splat said:

I'm currently addicted to Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen thanks to PS+. I have poured about 70 hours in to it and still loving every second of it. The Pawn system is awesome. ShogunRok's Pawn has been with me pretty much every step of the way. :)

I cleared the main game and all of Everfall now I'm working on Bitterblack Isle.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

PS3 backlog - MGS4, God of War 3, ICO and maybe some Vita & 3DS stuff...

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

Resogun, AC4, Battlefieod 4, Madden 25, Blacklight, Warframe..... And I've taken Monday off so my weekend is gonna be action-packed

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm playing Warframe, Injustice, and Resogun. Having a blast with them.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

No PS4 for me right now, waiting for some more games to come out. I'll be playing some Link to the Past this weekend.

Damianc78

Damianc78 said:

This weekend I am switching back and forth between Playroom, NBA2K14 and Killzone Shadow Fall. Lovin my PS4!

cherrypoppa

cherrypoppa said:

No PS4 til the 29th sob sob, glad to see so many people loving the new system/games!! oh I can't wait! P.S. I'm playing AC2 this weekend(I've never played it)

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Busy work weekend for me so I've limited what I've played to just Killzone: Shadow Fall and Contrast so I can fully focus on those. I'm actually quite enjoying both. Killzone isn't GOTY material but it's better than reviews have given it credit for and Contrast is much better than the reviews have said. I can at least understand where reviewers are coming from in regards to Killzone but Contrast is one of those rare indie games that is every bit as good as, and in some cases better than, the second tier retail games. Great atmosphere, cool gameplay mechanics and a neat story. Short but definitely worth a playthrough and in fact I could see giving it multiple playthroughs.

As far as other games I want to get started on, I plan playing a lot of Assassin's Creed IV and Injustice on Sunday once I get done with work that afternoon. And, if I can, may even play some Resogun and Warframe.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

Resogun (trying to get higher on the leaderboards... I... muuuuust...), Warframe, and Injustice mainly. Gonna try blacklight tonight probably as well :)

Scorpio73

Scorpio73 said:

Switching between Killzone, Madden, and Resogun at the moment. I have BF4, CoD: Ghosts, and AC4 on standby. I'm loving Killzone so far!

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

Just got off my PS4 was playing assassins creed so that's one.. I will also be playing nba 2k14 and Ghosts which in my opinion is surprisingly good!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Just played some Injustice, the same game I've enjoyed since April but with a step up in graphics. Still highly recommend this game to fighting and DC fans who haven't played it yet.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Don't have a ps4 yet :(
Just wondering though is resogun a DL only game or is it also physical retail ?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I'm hunting whales and doing parkour in AC4. KZ is hard but really fun and BF keeps crashing at the main menu. :((((((
Anybody else get blinded trying to plug in a ds4 in the dark? : )

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Killzone shadow fall, Warframe, and Cod Ghost and blacklight retribution if I can find it

D3athBr1ng3r187

D3athBr1ng3r187 said:

I'm playing a Broken at the moment BF4, Contrast which is a amazing underdog title, Resogun on of a kind shooter for Next Gen, and WarFrame very addicting team based great FTP title.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

Tom Raider (2013). No PS4 for me yet. Might get the inFAMOUS bundle in march, who knows.