Persona 5 Jumps Out of Your Dreams and into Reality

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Choo choo, all aboard

After announcing a 3DS spin-off, perplexing our speech with Persona 4 Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold, and revealing a Persona 4-based dancing game, it looked like fans' dreams of a Persona 5 announcement had been crushed during Atlus' streaming event today.

Thankfully, the incredibly talented Japanese studio was holding the big announcement back as the finale, causing eager fans around the globe to launch into a collective frenzy. That's right, Persona 5 is heading to the PlayStation 3 in 2014 – or at least it is in Japan, meaning that we could easily be looking at a late 2015 Western release.

Nevertheless, the hype levels are currently off the charts, so sit down, take a deep breath, and have a look at the title's eerie teaser trailer below. Are you currently bouncing off the walls? Summon your persona in the comments section.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Persona dancing kill it with fire. Was really annoyed by 3ds chi bi spinoff. Well my 3ds becomes something more than a Pokémon machine. Glad that persona 5 is ps3 though!

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!
I'm gonna run naked down the city!
See ya laterz, maybe on tv news.

ZeD

ZeD said:

If this has subtitles I might have to import this bad boy!

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

Good Lord. That whole ordeal was painful. It was like pulling teeth. Nobody trolls quite as well as Atlus.

belmont

belmont said:

Wow! DO want! Shouldn't it be on PS4 though? Persona 4 was released on PS2 way after the release of PS3 too.

I really look forward to persona 5. Atlus is still master at trolling though. Did't Sega buy them?

ZeD

ZeD said:

@get2sammyb unsure about that. I only started the series with 4 Golden and fell in love with it so had to play the others on the Psp. I am sure some one can let us know on here?

belmont

belmont said:

I think that no Persona title has English and the localization of all titles was hard due to the fact that the titles have lots of references to the Japanese culture. Persona 2 for PS1 was changed a lot for example.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@belmont Actually it seems 3 and 4 were fairly easy because they stopped trying to Westernize it. They just translated it more-or-less as is and the series REALLY blew up then.

But seriously guys, this may be the best news I've heard all weekend. It literally made me a tad emotional.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

It was hilarious seeing all of the comments during the live stream. Especially during the dancing game announcement. I was pretty sure torches and pitch forks were coming out. But then the magic happened! I can't freakin wait to play P5!

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Not sure myself. Hopefully they go epic like Persona 3 as 4 didn't grip me as much. We're in for a long wait in the west anyway I'd say

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@belmont yeah, god knows what they're ever actually saying in any anime lol. I know Pokémon is pretty risqué, I can only imagine teen/adult-oriented material like Personas

RacerX

RacerX said:

Good news! And its even on a gaming platform I own! And "next gen" becomes even less of a priority.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@charlesnarles ...Was that a joke? :/

Anyways, best news all year. I was afraid I'd have to get a PS4 to play it. Or worse, a 3DS version. >_< But having it on the PS3 should be nice. Looking forward to hearing more about it, so I can really get excited.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@MadchesterManc Good job I know Japanese ;) Canny wait for all the Persona goodness next year.

@Sanquine Just a rumour and one I don't think - and hope - isn't true. Ni no Kuni was beautiful and amazing, just leave it there. Doesn't need a sequel.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@CanisWolfred Whats wrong with a 3ds version?> I'm now a little bit calmed down and happy that my 3ds is becoming more than a pokemon only machine

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

I have a question.. With Gaikai coming next year, will we be able to download Persona 5 to our PS4 since it will probably come out after Gaikai?

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@rastamadeus Aye that's a good point. Hopefully I'll have got far enough with my Japanese to be comfortable to do that myself next year lol decided to switch to learning to read & write Japanese first about a month ago n it's worked wonders. Finding it easier now so my body should be ready for P5 Japanese launch

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@charlesnarles Okay...then how the eff is Pokemon rique by any reasonable standards?

@Sanquine We'll find out, but I'd have a hunch than a 3DS version wouldn't be able to do the things they want without severe downgrades.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@CanisWolfred True.. I prefered a vita version ... but vita does not sell ( Not a year ago atleast) now a steady 20 K. Chi bi is also just painfull. I liked the 2D screen whenever there was a converstation..

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'm not a fan of Chibi versions of normal characters either, It's supposed to be cute and funny, but it just makes everyone look like aliens to me...Not that I'll let that get in the way of enjoying a good game, but still, I'm the least excited for the PQ game out of the 4.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@CanisWolfred it is more risque in Japanese than in English. Of course a kids' show in America isn't gonna be pushing any boundaries, but in Japan there's an episode where James has boobs and one with guns being pointed at the main characters. After localization, there's no way to tell how messed up the original content was. That's all...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@charlesnarles The James one I'll give you is a tad odd, but not much worse than jokes that, say, Bugs Bunny has done throughout the various series. The gun pointing I'm not even sure why it was removed, I don't think he even fired it...maybe it had more to do with the timing than simple censorship? Then again, they censored a lot of guns for reasons that made no sense to me. For frick sake, kids have been pointing imaginary guns at eachother since guns were invented. What there be the point in censoring something they probably already know?

But I'm getting off track here. I guess your point is saying that localizations used to mess with the original content, correct? There's no arguing that. :P

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Cowboysfan-22 It's possible. As far as we know, Sony's long term goal is to be able to stream all PSone, PS2, and PS3 games to your PS4 via Gaikai technology. By that logic, you should be able to play Persona 5 and any other upcoming PS3 release on PS4 at some point.

But I don't think this is gonna happen for a while, unfortunately.

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

Goddangit, am i really going to have to wait till 2015 to play this?!? Sony! Get your third party division to fund this!

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

@ShogunRok unfortunately P5 won't come out for a while either. But hey, I have faith in Atlus so I think it's gonna be another on to add to my favorites list

Jairo_MC

Jairo_MC said:

I'm really excited for all the 4 Persona games announced, but more for Persona 5, obviously. Second is Persona Q, then Persona Dance All Night and finally the new P4A. I'll most definetely get all of them.