Sony's First PS4 Commercial Aims to Keep You Hanging On Until Launch

You're going to reap just what you sow

We’re exactly a month away from the PlayStation 4’s launch in North America, so it’s time for Sony to kick the marketing wheels into motion. It may have sold out of pre-orders earlier in the year, but awareness is pivotal to the success of any product – and the platform holder intends to generate that with this musical ‘Perfect Day’ commercial.

The live-action spot, which aired during Monday Night Football overnight, shows a couple of gamers kitted out in PlayStation related clobber singing Lou Reed’s 1972 hit. There’s a glimpse of The Elder Scrolls: Online, DriveClub, and Killzone: Shadow Fall. The production values are pretty impressive – especially during the last scene – so we can see this gaining some traction.

In addition to the advertisement, the Japanese giant has also launched a new website counting down to the platform’s launch. It’s basically a wall of fan Tweets, but it’s a nice idea. What do you think of the commercial? Has it got you hyped for next month’s release? Stretch your vocal cords in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com, vg247.com]

From the web

MANTAGTJ001

MANTAGTJ001 said:

TBH I cannot wait, I am jealous of our US brethren (being from UK) as they are having it in 31 days and we still have to wait until the end of next month, but I am sooo excited and cannot wait to make new PSN friends to join in the fight or race on all the new games. May the Playstation keep going strong for a long time yet. xx

@Grockumus Yes. Probably the last hurdle really. Servers need to stay stable. Hardware needs to prove reliable over the coming months. Then the folks at Sony can breathe a sigh of relief.

I agree, though, pretty strong ad.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Nice ad, it's playful but stylish and builds to a pretty epic ending....I won't be getting a PS4 for a while but I can enjoy being a spectator to it all. I hope the hardware proves to be a sturdy and dependable beast. I expect the Xbox one adverts to be fast edits, brash and booming noise and a more aggressive kind of campaign...going to be interesting to see the difference in approaches.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Don't worry Europeans, we Asian got the latter date in december

And because my country is not even listed by official Sony... I'll have to wait importer from Hong Kong

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Munkyknuts The first Xbone TV spot aired last month and once again Microsoft prioritized football over games - they literally didn't mention video games at all - so they've once again given Sony the upperhand.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

@Lelouch after I wrote that I thought I realised there had probably already been XBone adverts. Sony has a good track record of producing classy adverts, there were a lot of classy PS one ad campaigns back in the day.

eliotgballade

eliotgballade said:

get2sammyb : try singing along to this
what an awful ad ,
for the playStation 4 ,
how can something rad ,
look so poor ?
oh it's such an awful ad ,
I'm switching my TV off !
oh such an awful ad ,
I 'll buy an x box one ,
I'll buy an x box one !

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@eliotgballade It's a very good, game-focused ad, in fact all of their recent commercials for the PS4 have had a very clear focus on games.

It would have been kind of cool to have game characters singing instead of real people, but it was still a very enjoyable experience.

eliotgballade

eliotgballade said:

@rjejr : not so sure (we phrase things differently here in england) but thanks for the input (are you an x-factor judge?)
@Lelouch : my (and rjer's) alternative lyrics are just a joke mate !

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I thought it was great, just the right balance between Sony's past weirdness and an actual good advert.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I love how Sony knows only men in their mid-twenties can both afford and have time for a PS4. And I'm right in their crosshairs! : O