PS Vita May Not Have Monster Hunter, but Sony Wants to Sell Japan on Similar Games

Giant killers

Ever since the PlayStation Vita’s release, Sony has been trying to belittle the fact that Monster Hunter has switched sides to the Nintendo 3DS. While the mega-franchise made a name for itself on the PlayStation Portable, the Japanese giant has failed to secure an entry in the Capcom published series for its latest handheld so far, with only online spin-off Monster Hunter Frontier G in the pipeline.

That’s forced the platform holder to switch its message, and focus on a handful of similar titles which are coming to the Vita in the future. And in order to further bolster awareness for those games in Japan, it’s announced a special event in Akihabara on 3rd and 4th November, where attendees can get hands-on time with a slew of Monster Hunter-esque adventures.

Titles include God Eater 2, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Gundam Breaker, and Dragon’s Crown. Alright, that last inclusion doesn’t quite fit the theme – but it’s fun, so we’ll let it off. Those that turn up to the get-together will obtain hands-on time with all of the above releases, and will also get the opportunity to win prizes and more.

It sounds fun, but we reckon that Sony’s biggest challenge will be preventing partygoers from simply sitting in the corner and playing Monster Hunter 4. Sigh.

[via siliconera.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Im still waiting for monster hunter to wow me personally lol Gotta love Japanese adverts. You know that guy one the poster feels absoloutly no shame wearing that helmet :P

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Dragon's Crown fits the theme of Kyoutou Sensei. Kyoutou(共闘) means Co-op fighting.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Gunpla breaker is included too? What will it fight? HG units try to destroy a PG?

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

@get2sammyb Yeah, I understand, but this event name is 共闘学園文化祭Cultural Festival of Co-op Fighting Academy, LOL. So, they can show Borderlands 2 there, whithout any hesitation. And this guy in the helmet is infamous 共闘先生.Kyoutou Sensei - Professor of Co-op =). So it's more about co-op games than Monster Huner like games.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Wasn't there Panopticon or whatever down the pipe as well?
Any news about that?

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

@Bliquid It is definetly in development. I saw a lot of new screenshots on famitsu.com the other day. I think Sony just don't want this game to interfere with other co-op sweeties. But we can guess that there will be a lot of talk about it after SS Delta will be realesed. The flow of co-op games will never dry out =). I think the next portion is Phantasy Star Nova, Monster Hunter Freedom G, Freedom Wars and SS2 =).

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

Ragnarok Sucks because of Key layout, God Killer 2 and Gundam Breaker ain't in EU.
Soul Sacrifice is the best game for Vita atm.
I really need to find time for Dragon's Crown and Toiuken I will have to look into

belmont

belmont said:

Yet some of the titles mentioned will also be released on PSP so may not affect the sales of Vita that much. However I want God Eater 2 in Europe. I liked the first one.

tabris95

tabris95 said:

I feel bad for all the Monster Hunter fans who got their start on PS2 and PSP but haven't made the jump to 3DS. However, I'm also jealous that they get great titles like Soul Sacrifice, Gods Eater, and Freedom Wars. I hope Gods Eater 2 gets a NA release.