Point Your Peepers at This PlayStation Eye Unboxing

Down the lens

“Stop posting amateur unboxing videos,” we hear you scream. Alright, we promise that this is the last one – but even the cynics among you must admit that this is a novelty. It’s not every year that a new console launches, so it’s exciting to see the peripherals of the impending PlayStation 4 pulled out of their respective wrappers ahead of release.

This latest footage focuses on the DualShock 4 and enhanced PlayStation Eye camera, but it’s the latter that we found most interesting. Did you know that the device shipped with a stand? Neither did we, but that’s all detailed in the clip embedded below. Skip straight to 05:30 if you’re tired of seeing controller comparisons everywhere you look.

[via youtube.com]

Grockumus

Grockumus said:

The Camera:

• has a REALLY long cable
  • comes with a stand so I don't have to hunt for a stupid 3rd party one

Yup... pre-ordered this just a few minutes after seeing the things above. I just really REALLY hope developers actually make stuff for it! The lack of Move support in PS3 lately has been rather annoying (as in games that "Require" the Move, not just make it "Compatible" as some lame after thought).

@10:55 He randomly showed the Keypad off. I feel like the only one that uses mine regularly. I can't stand using the on-screen keyboard! Heck, I even know all the orange and blue "shift"-like button inputs by heart on that keypad.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

The only possible way I will buy this camera is if it turns out it's required for the rumored VR headset. Otherwise there is absolutely 0% chance I will own one and I think Sony knew it. I'm very happy they didn't force it on us.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@benrawr - Tell it to engadget (the article is 3 week sold but the one from a few days ago calls it that as well)

Amazon agrees with you though. And you're right, but everybody is still going to call it the Eye anyway.

Rather than toss the stand aside he should have demonstrated how it worked w/ all its poppin' hinges. The PSC looks like it only connects on the one end and floats over the rest, making it very unstable on top of a tv I would imagine.

What does the special camera connector do that a USB 3 port couldn't do? Seems like a wasted PS4 port if you don't get the camera.

Grockumus

Grockumus said:

@rjejr If they're gonna call it "the Eye", wouldn't it make more sense to call it "the Eyes"? :P
I like how they just kept the name as basic as just "PlayStation Camera", but "PlayStation Eyes" would have been kind of neat as well.

benrawr

benrawr said:

@Grockumus I honestly think that's what they're going for, but surely they wouldn't be selling the camera with "PlayStation Camera" on the packaging, if they're gonna rebrand it later!

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I just got my Dualshock 4 and PlayStation Camera today. I've been playing FF14 ARR a ton with the dualshock but I've not messed much with the camera. Both have VERY solid builds. I'm trying to make some custom drivers for the dualshock4 so that the touchpad works, but not much luck. I don't think we'll be able to use the touch pad via Windows unless Sony makes official drivers (as far as I can tell, it's not even recognized via the inputs on PC).