Pachter: PS4 Pre-Orders Have Reached 1.5 Million

Flawless victory

Remember when Sony boasted that it had garnered one million PlayStation 4 pre-orders at GamesCom earlier in the year? Industry analyst Michael Pachter believes that the current number is much stronger than that, and actually closer to 1.5 million. But while that’s undoubtedly positive news for the platform holder, the Wedbush Securities man is concerned that it could create a supply problem.

“The only thing that they’re gonna have a problem with is supply disruption,” he said on the latest episode of the Bonus Round. “Those one million pre-orders that they talked about, which I understand is now up to 1.5 million, that’s a lot of consoles. That tells you that there’s not going to be a lot of boxes behind the first million and a half, so there are going to be supply shortages.” In other words: if you haven’t already pre-ordered, you could be waiting a long time.

Nevertheless, as the Japanese giant has iterated on multiple occasions, this is a good problem to have – and Pachter believes that the firm has been faultless with its next generation plans. “[Sony's] been pretty flawless so far,” he exclaimed, comparing the company’s position to Microsoft. “Everything that they’ve said about PSN has been pretty flawless, and it sounds like there’s value for the cost [of the PS4].”

Despite the supply concerns, the platform holder seems pretty confident that it can get enough stock onto store shelves. Earlier in the year, SCEA president Jack Tretton indicated that the production of the machine was moving along extremely well, and that the phenomenal yields would lead to the biggest launch in PlayStation history. Meanwhile, analysts are in agreement that Sony’s system will outsell the Xbox One this Christmas. It’s going to be an exciting end to the year.

[via gametrailers.com, gamesthirst.com, vg247.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Sony deserves this, since February they've been hitting homeruns - especially Shuhei. I remember earlier in the year when they said that they'd learned from their mistakes with the PS3 and how much so many people doubted them, but they've proven that they have learned and are doing everything they can to make the PS4 a success.

divinelite

divinelite said:

Well hope for the best. I still afraid of production problems which always haunt day one machines

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

they actually said over 1 million in the conference, pretty sure they giving the low end of the stick. I say closer to 2 million

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

I'm glad I preordered mine. I remember Tretton also said they would have consoles for people that did not preorder though, but definitely more preordered consoles will be sold.

DeHorror1975

DeHorror1975 said:

I pre ordered mine on day 1 with 2 games and a second controller at gamestop. If I don't get my PS4 fix on nov 15 exactly, there will be a one man riot!

irken004

irken004 said:

I have my preorder but now I'm not sure I'll have enough money by the time it ships. Hopefully they can crank up production so I can grab one sometime soon after launch.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@divinelite Show some school spirit, nerd! I still use my $600 1st gen 60 gb. Sure, it had a $150 YLOD in '11, but after Sony put contemporary thermals in and I spent another $80 1tb hdd, and another $30 for a fan, it's good to go for a long-assed time. Right in time for the next gen :[ ...My point is that they didn't make PS4 anything like 3 and we'll all be all right this gen. Hopefully...

JaKeRa

JaKeRa said:

I screwed up and didn't pre-order, so it looks like I'll be in a line at gamestop day one... Ugh