Naughty Dog Rules Out PS4 Port of The Last of Us

Studio sticks a shiv in speculation

Naughty Dog has tossed a brick at rumours suggesting that it’s planning a PlayStation 4 version of The Last of Us. We included the hit in a recent feature dedicated to PlayStation 3 games that are likely to make the jump into the next generation, but the Californian developer has said that it has “no plans” to re-release the title on Sony’s impending format.

Community manager Eric Monacelli made the brief comment in response to a fan request on the North American PlayStation Blog, but didn’t rule out the possibility of another studio handling the port. The Japanese giant has frequently called upon the services of outfits such as Bluepoint and Idol Minds to create compilations on its current generation console, so we can imagine it furthering that strategy moving forwards.

In fact, company co-president Christophe Balestra admitted earlier in the year that an enhanced iteration of the critically acclaimed classic could be possible. “We always create our assets at a higher resolution than what you see in-game,” he told Eurogamer.net. “A lot of our pipelines are already ready to move to something superior to the PS3.”

With the survival horror opus still selling extremely well, though, we suspect that the manufacturer may want to keep any statements regarding a next generation version under wraps. Regardless, we very much expect the game to get ported to the PS4 over the coming years. Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, or do you agree with our rationale? Click out some comments in the interactive white space below.

[via blog.us.playstation.com, eurogamer.net]

Splat

Splat said:

This doesn't really bother me. It would be cool and all but it's not like I'm getting rid of my PS3 or my copy of The Last of Us.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm still hoping for a PS4 and Vita port, I don't care how unlikely either may be. Until then, I'll keeping playing it on my PS3 because like many people, I plan on keeping my PS3 for years to come.

TheMonkeyBongo

TheMonkeyBongo said:

It was too late in the day for me to re-buy a PS3......although I was close to splashing out a handful of times. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a PS4 version. I think they would be mad to not port it over, but I guess it would be a great title to showcase Gaikai. @get2sammyb

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@get2sammyb Well, we need more vita games... What do you think sammy ... Does sony let the vita bleed to death? I love killzone mercenary but i think they are not working hard enough... P$4 is the only thing sony cares about so i think they should spread their attention more..

TheMonkeyBongo

TheMonkeyBongo said:

Vita is bound to be the indie machine as well as the partner to the PS4 for remote play. It's worth the price for those features alone.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Sanquine Correction: The Vita needs more games in the West. In Japan, it has Project Diva 2nd, Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, God Eater 2, Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram, Jump-Stars Victory VS, Criminal Girls INVITATION and Freedom Wars, plus many more on the way - though Freedom Wars will be getting localized like all of Japan Studios games.

Malouff

Malouff said:

Wouldn't the PS4 and Vita eventually see a release using the Gakui service even if there is no port?

That is depending on how rights are needed distribute games on Gakui of course.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@Lelouch I know... I wish i lived in japan. Those japanese need to give the vita some love because we would pay big bucks for those games:D I will! All those games you mentioned... I want them all :D If sony is smart they pay localisation cost and release that awesome games over here... Localisation is far more cheaper than making a new game for vita.

@Sanquine I definitely think Sony's attention is focused on PS4 in the West, but I think that's the right strategy. From a business point of view, the PS4 is definitely their "financial" future. As @Lelouch rightly pointed out, the strategy is a bit different in Japan, because that's a portable focused territory.

Honestly, I think they're experimenting a bit with Vita. For example, there's been a really positive reaction to PS Vita TV all over the world. Furthermore, who knows what impact Remote Play and Gaikai will have? Any of those things could give the system a stronger footing.

It's a difficult one. I'm really happy with the types of games that are coming to Vita — I genuinely really enjoy the indie stuff, and a lot of it I would rather play on a portable — but I also get why that's not compelling for a lot of people. I do think that there needs to be more investment into big retail titles, and I don't think that ports of old games — like Borderlands and Spider-Man — are necessarily the answer.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Sanquine I'm hoping that at least half those games get localized, if Sony publishes any of them aside from Freedom Wars and God Eater 2(?) then they could localize the games themselves. I really want Jump-Stars to come to the West but like all the other Shonen Jump mash-ups before it, it won't due to licensing issues.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Sanquine

I think Sony's trying but there's only so much a company can do when a system is just simply not selling and there is no evidence suggesting that the sales situation is about to turn. That said, it still has Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Gravity Rush 2 and just locked up a portable version of Injustice: Gods Among Us so at least there's some good stuff still on the way. I hope Vita TV helps turn the situation around. If that takes off, we'll start seeing more third party games and that will really help.

@Lelouch I definitely think (hope) you're going to see Sony get into the localisation business soon. There are so many titles that have a fervent fanbase that it could be bringing to its platform. They may be niche, but the likes of Yakuza are still popular. It needs to work harder to get those games overseas.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@get2sammyb Sega seems to be in league with Nintendo right now, so unfortunately, I don't see Yakuza making its way to the States or Europe anytime soon.

I do think Sony should work harder when it comes to getting titles imported. Actually, the game industry as a whole should start working on getting more games imported to other markets around the world.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

Awesome news :D I want this amazing company working on games to come, not wasting time porting what is an amazing ps3 game that needs no port! Great to see a company that isn't looking for a money grab and is ALWAYS focused on making great quality games. ND makes playstation an awesome gaming system with their exclusives and I just friggin love this company!

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

Ehh... I don't mind. I would buy the game on PS4, but I'd prefer not to buy the DLC twice, so if there's a PS4 version I hope my season pass carries over.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Madd_Hatter401

Completely agree. I still think an eventual TLoU port to fill some empty summer months a year or two down the line isn't a bad idea but I'd much rather that right now Sony puts Naughty Dog to work on Uncharted 4 or a brand new IP for PS4.

divinelite

divinelite said:

@Sanquine are you sure? Japan saw one of the most expensive gaming price you know. Ps3 is roughly over 70$+ there and vita about 50$+

But if I work and get paid like a Japanese yes it will be good I think

banacheck

banacheck said:

I think you'll be seeing more games going to the PSVita, PS3 etc, as Sony has its own Third Party Production team.

Sony Third Party Production team, its Third Party Relations team will “develop solid relationships across this industry”, and “work closely with our publishing partners to bring their beloved IPs to some new places”.

“This means you’ll see even more great games on PlayStation platforms, including new IP’s, ports, and localised products,” it said.

“In addition, our partners who are currently in production will have us as a resource to strengthen their development process, ensuring quality and consistency on all Third Party projects.”

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I think it's a smart idea. Why water it down, people would expect more from a port. They would want some extended content or something new to justify the price tag. I am pretty sure this game took an emotional toll on the developers that had direct impact on The Last of Us. We are always so squeal driven sometimes we forget to ask if it's the right time or if one is needed at all. I would like to see another game in the universe but something different all together.