TGS 2013: Wait, You Won't Need to Pay to Play Deep Down on PS4?

Exclusive unexpectedly goes free-to-play

It may be one of the best looking games on the PlayStation 4, but Capcom has confirmed that Deep Down will be free-to-play. The shock announcement came at the Tokyo Game Show overnight, after the Japanese publisher had allowed attendees to sample the game at the PlayStation booth all week – where it was always believed to be a retail release.

The co-operative dungeon crawler – which Sony is actually collaborating on – will receive a public beta right around the launch of the PS4 in Japan. The console’s due out on 22nd February in the Land of the Rising Sun, so the online test will probably deploy in March. We reckon that that’s a pretty good consolation for the console’s delay.

It’s not yet clear how the business model will impact the title’s structure, but it stands to reason that you’ll be able to splash out on new weapon types, armour, and more. This is the second surprise announcement regarding the mysterious release in as many weeks, as Capcom also confirmed recently that the title is set in the future – despite its medieval aesthetic.

Deep Down was one of the hottest titles on display at the Tokyo Game Show this week, so it’ll be interesting to see whether the free-to-play announcement dampens the excitement surrounding the game. On the one hand, it’s always nice to get something for nothing – but those hoping for a traditional sprawling adventure may end up disappointed by what’s actually produced.

[via twitter.com]

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Free-to-play from a company in severe financial trouble...I don't see this going very well for the consumers. This, especially considering their teasing of degrading weapons the other day. Too much could go wrong with this, and I see no reason to assume it won't.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I think that game looks interesting and if FTP I will give it a go. Sure there is going to be micro transactions, but I don't have any issue with that business model. I would prefer it to a monthly subscription.

Just depends on how they structure it and what you can do for free and what you will need to pay for.

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

I'll give it a shot since it's Free-to play, but this kinda dampens my excitement, i mean why can't it be a full game like Dead Rising 3 (which looks REALLY awesome! to bad i can't get an Xbox One for atleast a year or two)

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Well then, color me intrested again. The always online had turned me off. One thing I like about all these FTP games, is that it will insure your freinds have some of the games you have for co-op.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Capcom, don't screw this up, seriously. I'd trust the company more with a retail game.

LDXD

LDXD said:

This sounds horrible to me I'm now almost completely uninterested in this game

LDXD

LDXD said:

All they needed to do was make a dragons dogma type game with optional multiplayer wtf is this?

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

Oh you mean Pay to Win knowing Crapcom BS business practices this is probably coming already to fruition.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@charlesnarles: You forgot the VERY important qualifier that you shouldn't be forced to wait for things to happen if you don't pay...and there shouldn't be things that are TECHNICALLY possible to get in-game but take FOREVER. Balance on this business model is EXTREMELY difficult to do right, and I just don't think Capcom can pull it off.