TGS 2013: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Braves the Bad Weather

Thunder only happens when it's raining

Not even a heavy storm can prevent Big Boss from completing a particularly challenging covert mission. As planned, Hideo Kojima put in an appearance at Sony’s colossal Tokyo Game Show booth overnight to showcase twelve incredible minutes of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. And judging by the soggy snippet, you should absolutely be excited for the upcoming PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 sequel.

The clip shows the aforementioned eyepatch equipped hero storming a base at night time, and extricating a hostage. Of course, being open world, you’re able to go about the taxing task in a number of ways. During the clip, the protagonist is shown driving a Jeep, sneaking up on guards, and engaging in full-on third-person firefights – from the side of a helicopter. The visuals are absolutely incredible, with the wind animating tarpaulins and tents.

What do you think of the game? Has this shot straight to the top of your wishlist? Check out the twelve minute video, and let us know what you think in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

Related Games

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Honestly this didn't grab me. The visuals are not up to the same level as many other Next Gen releases (I assume it was PS4 not PS3?) and the game-play seemed very derivative of games I have played before.

I have not played the previous MGS games, which is probably the problem, so I have no nostalgic connection. But the problem is that there was nothing here to entice me in to the series.

@Ginkgo I don't know, I thought the graphics were exceptional. The quality is obviously not the best, but I thought it all looked really impressive.

You make some very fair comments, though. I can see how this would not be everyone's cup of tea.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@get2sammyb Don't misunderstand me, the graphics aren't bad, but I don't think they are on the same level as Killzone, Second Son, Deep Down, The Division or even Ryse to name just a few. Perhaps the youTube feed is just killing it.

The biggest problem is that section of gameplay is very generic. I think I need to see some story before I will care.

Snkfiend

Snkfiend said:

@Ginkgo I see if you never played the MGS series you shouldn't play this in general because you won't understand this version storyline regardless.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@DirectAim Yeah that video makes it look much more compelling. Thanks. Graphics look better (perhaps its just the light, or maybe that was a high end PC) and demonstrates the mechanics, game-play and story better.

Realistically, I am not going to play 4 previous games in preparation. So I will either have to jump in or give it a miss.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'm a big MGS fan but for some reason I'm just not exited for this game, at all.

DirectAim

DirectAim said:

@Ginkgo I know what you mean but they are 4 fantastic games and with the HD remakes they are very playable!

Worth looking into! Maybe worth looking for a lets play on youtube and watching the cut scenes (cut scenes in MGS are very good and long, the story is immense!).

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thanks for getting a good song stuck in my head for a change. :-)

No more GTAV background? Damo and TW must be very happy. The hypocrisy was so glaring I didn't even bring it up on NL, it gets crazy over there sometimes. 1/50th? More like 20%. I understand, gotta pay the bills, but they weren't the games biggest fans.

belmont

belmont said:

I like the Metal Gear series. Recently I got the Legacy Collection. Has anyone read somewhere that Ground Zeroes will be included on the Phantom Pain disk as a prologue (like Tanker on MGS2) ?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Me love MGS long time. Looks fun. Go at your own pace, like 3, but with 4's controls, and PW's base management, AND an open world. I wanna ride into battle on the side of a chopper piloted by my choice of crewmembers. This is gonna be killer!