TGS 2013: Gaikai Streams PS3 Titles to Numerous PlayStation Platforms Next Year

Cloudy with a chance of content

Speaking as part of a roundtable interview at the Tokyo Game Show overnight, Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida reiterated that the platform holder will launch its Gaikai game streaming service in North America next year. According to IGN, the cloud-based initiative will deploy alongside a catalogue of PlayStation 3 games, which will expand over time.

The likeable executive – fresh from showcasing the PlayStation 4’s mobile application during the Japanese giant’s somewhat bland keynote – stated that users will want a good roster of software to browse through, so it’s imperative that the service launches with a large selection of games. Those titles will be playable via the company’s next generation console, as well as the PlayStation Vita and PS Vita TV.

Despite attaching an early 2014 date to the initiative in North America, firm European plans remain hazy. Earlier in the year, SCEE president Jim Ryan explained that broadband issues may hinder the rollout overseas. “Europe is of course on the roadmap for the service to be deployed at some point in the future, but for reasons outside of our control, we don’t yet have a timeline for it,” he said.

Do you intend to take advantage of the Gaikai service? How much would you be willing to pay for access to an on-demand PS3 library? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via uk.ign.com]

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

My dream for this... GTA V Gaikai streaming to a Vita. Probably never going to happen, but hey, I can dream.

@AceSpadeS I think there's actually a very realistic chance that that could happen - if not through Gaikai, then via Remote Play when GTA5 eventually comes to PS4. (Which it will.)

Epic

Epic said:

Uncharted 1-3 and The Last Of Us might be the first in line for this :D

DirectAim

DirectAim said:

The money that could be made through this service is immense. It would also catapult Sony and PS4 a million miles ahead of Microsoft.

I should be able to play ANY PS1, PS2, PS3 games on my PS4. This NEEDS to happen!

My body is ready.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm hoping Sony plans on making PS2 titles available as well. I'd be ecstatic if they they did and at some point made Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 available, I'm still upset that there was no HD remake of it on the PS3 - it's not like it was the last good DBZ ga- oh wait... it was.

@DirectAim I read somewhere that Microsoft has plans to emulate this feature using their own cloud service and that they're trying to get or already have Time Warner on board their own internet based TV service.

So it looks like Sony only has Remote Play to itself, because Microsoft is going around and preventing them from having any unique features. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a handheld so Sony wouldn't have the advantage of Remote Play.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

@get2sammyb A PS4 version with remote play wouldn't surprise me at all, but I would be surprised to see all that many PS3 titles be set up to stream to the Vita. At least, not ones that aren't Sony developed.

...Though back before Gaikai was Sony owned, there were quite a few AAA titles for streaming-demo through their web sire.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

I will be taking full advantage of this service since there were a few PS3 games that I have never played cause I never owned a PS3. Can't wait to try it out.