Tomb Raider's Popularity Hasn't Capsized, Reboot Reaches 4 Million Sales

That's a Lara copies

It may have been branded a sales disappointment by a deluded Square Enix management team, but Crystal Dynamics’ critically acclaimed Tomb Raider reboot is anything but a commercial flop. As part of a candid blog post on Gamasutra, new head of studios Darrell Gallagher revealed that the title has surpassed four million sales since its release in March.

The recently recruited executive also noted that Sleeping Dogs has finally attained profitability, too, despite launching with less than stellar sales. This is due to the continued popularity of the game over a long period of time. It’s a feat that’s making the publisher consider producing more persistent experiences in the future.

“We see the opportunity for some of our games continuing beyond a traditional beginning, middle, and end,” he explained. “We can have them become extendable and more persistent – with an opportunity to build and grow across games. To design in a way to keep our games alive for years instead of weeks.”

It’s something that we’re totally comfortable with, too. The days of buying a game, playing the campaign, and trading it back in are long over. Publishers need to offer long-term support and start thinking about their releases as services. With good quality content, a fair business model, and a solid core, there’s really no reason why titles can’t remain a sustainable source of income and entertainment for years after their release date. Good on Gallagher for figuring that out.

[via gamasutra.com, vg247.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

It's continuing to sell well and, deluded or not, SquareEnix did have enough sense to green light the sequel. That's good enough for me. :)

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I was just thinking of buying this the other night, I probably will next time I'm at Walmart.

Splat

Splat said:

I loved TR! I thought it was a bit short but other than that it was great.

The3DSisMINE

The3DSisMINE said:

I'm happy with this news. I loved this game. Never played the others to much extent, but this... Fan -freaken - tastic!!!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@JaxonH

It was under SE's Call of Duty-like projections for it. That company is pretty brain-dead sometimes but we're getting a sequel so none of that really matters now.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I know others wont agree with me but I actually agree with Crystal Dynamics. Given Tomb Raider is a household name with multiple games and Hollywood films and the high quality of the title, they could have "hoped' for higher sales. Yes, 4 million is great but I could imagine them hoping for more, especially as Tomb Raider II sold over 6 million. It is a great game so I hope they make a profit with it and the promised sequel.

Wesker

Wesker said:

It's a great game. I even took the time time to collect everything. Worse thing about that game is the online trophies amirite!?