SEGA May Reveal a New Yakuza Title Later This Month

You'll probably never get to play it, though

Yes, we’re still bitter. We’d gotten used to playing a new Yakuza title every year, but SEGA still hasn’t said anything about a localised version of Yakuza 5. The sequel – which deployed in Japan last year – sounded absolutely amazing, but we don’t have time to study a foreign language in order to properly enjoy it. As such, we doubt that we’ll ever get to experience Haruka’s nutty dancing minigames.

It also makes it really difficult for us to get excited over the prospect of another Yakuza game. According to Gamer.ne.jp, publisher SEGA is set to make a surprise announcement on 18th August regarding the series. We suspect that it’ll involve a new entry in the franchise – potentially for the PlayStation Vita. Sadly, no matter how good it looks, we’ll probably never get to play it. Boo.

[via gamer.ne.jp, gematsu.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

pffft. Whats the point? We still waiting on Yakuza 5 Sega. Ive got a friend who is still bitter with Sega over Yakuza 5, I think he may let out a primevil howl if I link him to this story lol Even if they do a Vita one I doubt we'd get it here. There was a couple of Yakuza spin-offs on the PsP that never seen the light of day here.

@MadchesterManc Yeah, it's such a shame. I understand that the market for it is very, very niche, but there has to be a way to make this viable. I know it''s expensive to bring these games over, but there's a rabid fanbase eager to play the games. It just sucks that SEGA seems to have given up.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@get2sammyb They could just do a Digital release. Ive noticed with the Vita that games like Atelier Totori, which you'd probably consider niche JRPG's, still get a release here. Digital is a great option for niche titles as they wouldn't have much to worry about regarding sales as a purely digital release would be much cheaper to publish. If Sega gave a damn they'd release Yakuza 5 digitally. Im a Sega fanboy myself, but even I wont defend them when it comes to situations like this. I think we'd probably have more chance seeing a Vita Yakuza here than Yakuza 5 due to how popular digital distribution is in the EU for the Vita

@SuperSilverback Yes, one of my favourite PlayStation franchises. The gameplay is very dated, but the story telling is ridiculously good. It's cheesy, soap opera tier stuff, but it's really hard not to care about the characters. Each entry is also packed to the brim with minigames, which is one of my favourite things about the series.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

I dont think vita version.... Maybe a PS4 announcement. Otherwise there is rastamadeus who is telling you why there wont be a yakuza on the vitaq

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Sanquine Boring as it may be, the truth hurts my friend. Anyway, the first two games have been ported over to the Wii U have they not, so it's probably just more of the same. On another point, do SEGA actually have any games on the way for Vita? Besides Virtua Tennis around launch time, Sonic Racing which was on every format known to man and Phantasy Star (would prefer that being releases here than any Yakuza) they're awfully quiet.

@get2sammyb Sadly the rabid fan base isn't big enough to warrant SEGA doing it. Been going through Yakuza 3 on my girlfriends PS3 in between playing Farcry 3 recently and it's a good game. Be nice for it to be played by more people but its just too Japanesey. It's a shame really, the only way for it to really make it outside Japan is to westernise but if they do that it ruins the game.

The fact the series has been completely ignored in all three SEGA All-Stars games says it all, sadly.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Sanquine Don't worry bud, I know. The bit about what does SEGA have lined up was also a general question to you or anyone, not a go at you :)

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

the surprise announcement will be they are putting the series on the WiiU as a partnership deal with Nintendo (i have a WiiU so it wont bother me at all)

or the HD versions of 1 and 2 are going to be released over here

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

The only reason i picked up yakuza cos it was in japanese..........Then i realised im playing with a barbie doll nothing like spending an hour looking for shoes to match that chain and watch lol Sooooooooo want this! stick on subtitles put it on psn Done!!!!