It's Free Flights for Everyone in Ace Combat: Infinity on PS3

Without wings

You’ll be flying shotgun for free in Ace Combat: Infinity later this year, as publisher Namco Bandai has confirmed that the upcoming flight-combat title won’t cost you a penny to download on the PlayStation 3. The game is supposedly set in the near future, and will include a brand new story campaign. There’s no word on how the company intends to monetise that, but we’re guessing that you’ll be buying additional weapons, planes, and other modifications.

There’ll also be a horde-esque co-operative multiplayer mode. “Skilled aces will form two teams of up to four players and compete to inflict the most damage on a common enemy,” explains the press release. It all sounds pretty fun, doesn’t it? There’s no word on a firm launch date just yet, but the title is scheduled to take-off in 2013. Are you looking forward to this, or has the free-to-play element already put you off? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com, vg247.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Another F2P game? Hell at this rate Sony will have more F2P games available than Steam soon :D lol Would be worth a try tho. Ive kinda enjoyed the past couple of Ace Combat games.

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

I hope it will be like old Ace Combats, that were before Assault Horizon. If so< I will give it a try.

ErnisDy

ErnisDy said:

I just loved ace combat on 3ds, one of the most underrated games. Cant wait for this.

ErnisDy

ErnisDy said:

Wait, f2p tekken is by namco bandai too? If they will monetize it like they did it with tekken it will be just great. No pay to win.

@ErnisDy Yeah, the Tekken model is alright actually. Seeing as there's no real competitive component to this (it seems like there will be some competition in the co-op mode, but not in the head-to-head sense) I think that they'll be able to get away with selling guns, planes, and stuff. But you're right - the tickets system is totally fine.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@get2sammyb Ive just been on the SEN Playstation Store website to que up some downloads for when I get home and Ive just noticed there is now a Free to Play section on the store. Sony seem to be really pushing F2P now

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Love flying games, for free, sure yeah I'll pay it. Especially if it has online co-op.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

The world wonders: will it feature that uncontrolable cinematic chase mode? Is it real-world or analog-world? If I don't buy stuff, will I still be able to have fun (Pay-to-win)? Is there a beautiful, dramatic backstory in which the player character is artistically only indirectly involved (AC4)?
I'm seriously excited for this, regardless of the answers. Cause it's free! Yay ProjectAces! Hail Yellow Thirteen!
And there's obviously a Vita/PS4 game in the works if they're releasing something free for PS3. 6 months from now we'll be fat n happy with more games we could ever play. "It's a good thing."

SuperSilverback

SuperSilverback said:

Off topic but they should make a new Colony Wars game. I loved those games, played the hell outta Red Sun.

It kinda is on topic i suppose, both flying combat games =P

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

Wow. I love co-op gaming. 2 guys in the same plane, making up teams of 2 planes sounds like it could be awesome! I will definitely check this out. Besides: a jet game on PS4 hardware? Yes, please! :)

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

Oh yes...please make an awesome space-flight-trade-sim-thingy the likes of Elite, Privateer or such. Let us build Star Destroyers, battle stations...and Death Stars. Death-Star "protect your planet"-deathmatch with little fleets as support, anyone? :)

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I don't mind F2P for fighting games, I'm not sure I like the idea of Ace Combat going this route though. But in the interest of fairness I'll wait to see what Namco does before writing this off. Not like it will hurt my wallet if I download the game and hate what they're doing with it.