Grand Theft Auto Online to Debut on 15th August

Is your body ready?

Ever since that delightful tease at the end of last month’s Grand Theft Auto V trailer, we’ve been dying to learn more about the game’s multiplayer mode, Grand Theft Auto Online. Fortunately, we’ll be finding out a whole lot on 15th August, when Rockstar Games is set to deploy a new video dedicated to the hotly anticipated feature.

Additional details are unsurprisingly scarce at this stage, but judging by the aforementioned footage, we’re expecting some kind of MMO-esque option where you can wreak havoc with dozens of friends in the sandbox setting of Los Santos. While this was possible in Grand Theft Auto IV to a degree, the whole experience felt a bit flaky.

What are you hoping to see this week? Do you want co-op, standard deathmatch modes, or both? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via rockstargames.com]

I both liked and disliked GTA4's multiplayer. I thought that the potential was there in a lot of the modes, but I just didn't find it very fun to play. Actually, my biggest worry pertaining to GTA5 still relates to the actual combat. I've disliked the shooting in all of Rockstar's games this gen. (Haven't play Max Payne yet, though, admittedly.)

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@get2sammyb My biggest complaint with all R* games are the controls. It's not a huge deal, especially since the rest of the game is typically so good, but having to mash X to sprint just feels so archaic. Plus the weighty, physics-based movement in GTAIV and RDR still feels weird even today.

As for the multiplayer, I want to see co-op. RDR had some great ideas in its free roam mode, but ultimately there just wasn't much to do and it wasn't very dynamic. Ideally, I want to see a free roam mode that has all the content of the single player game (barring the actual story), although I understand that's a tall order given GTAV is on current gen systems.

Which again brings me to the fact I'm a little bitter it's still on PS3 and not PS4.

Splat

Splat said:

I think the game is going to be amazing but I'm also worried the gameplay is going to feel like a bit of a step back after playing Sleeping Dogs.

As for Max Payne 3 I just finished it and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad by any means but it never wowed me.

The story never really sucked me in and I found it repetitive. I don't have much desire to play it again.

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

max payne 3 was a very solid and underrated shooter, was worth a buy to me.....but was an amazing rent. Happy to the shooting mechanic is carrying over.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@ShogunRok I like the heaviness of the controls. Other games don't feel like you're controlling a several-ton steel torpedo (or stumbling around drunk on the sidewalk, for that matter). I thought folks were in love with game physics ever since halo, but I was disappointed that sleeping dogs had like none for the driving parts