Cosmic Star Heroine Is the Retro Sci-Fi RPG You've Been Waiting For

Shining light

If you’re reading this, then you’re doing it wrong. Skip through all of the text and just watch the awesome SEGA CD-inspired trailer below. Then try to tell us that you’re not excited for Cosmic Star Heroine, the upcoming sci-fi RPG love-letter in production at two-man development outfit Zeboyd Games. The title was confirmed for the PlayStation 4 and Vita during Sony’s alarmingly fruitful PAX Prime 2013 panel overnight.

Inspired by old-school favourites such as Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, and Suikoden, the title puts you under the crimson beret of Alyssa L'Salle, one of the galactic government’s top spies. Upon uncovering a huge conspiracy, the private eye has her cover blown by her own employers, and must deal with the repercussions, as she’s headhunted by every organisation that she’s crossed.

While the title has been confirmed for the PS4 and Vita, the studio’s looking for additional funds to make it sing. As such, you’ll be able to pre-purchase the game through Kickstarter – it’ll cost you a measly $10 for a cross-buy copy – and contribute to its development. More details are forthcoming, but this is probably one that you’re going to want to back. It looks (and sounds) absolutely brilliant.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

Related Games

odd69

odd69 said:

No gameplay, I cant be that excited.

here is a rant:
Developers when you make any trailer, even a story trailer, it could be a trailer of any content whatsoever just please put in a second of gameplay, is that so hard to ask you know, gameplay in your f****** trailers. Story isn't enough for me to buy a game I need to see the game in action.

that's why I hate trailers like these "teasers".....rant over

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@odd69 Yeah but that music though... the whole time I was like "There's no gameplay but this music gets me PUMPED!"

rjejr

rjejr said:

The story line description sounds like Beyond Good & Evil but the video looks like Sly Cooper joining Awesomenauts.

Absolutely nothing about any of that makes me think "old school" jrpg at all. Maybe you are confusing this trailer with a different game?

On the bright side - after the dramatic drop-off between the jrpgs on PS2 to PS3 I am glad so many indies are making jrpg type games. I'm really enjoying Rainbow Moon and the sequel looks good as well, and there have been a couple of upcoming games covered on here as well. This isn't one of them though.

RawShark

RawShark said:

I never thought I'd get nostalgic for the Mega CD. But that hit me right in the place where I keep my memories of Snatcher. Will keep an eye on this.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Yeah it looks cute, but I don't know. I'm a bit over retro. I lived through it the first time, so I am not sure why I want to go back.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I love retro inspired visuals, but these are way too LoMo and, well, ugly, for me.
Honestly, it seemed like the intro of an old game that wasn't so good even at the time it came out.
In the end, fire the chara designer and i'll listen.
Joking, ofc.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@rjejr I thought the same thing as you, but actually click on the article it goes to (I think it's the word confirmed) and look at the sprites they're using. Makes me think it's a jrpg (looks a lot like chrono trigger styled characters)

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@rjejr I've played the snes one (translated) and the ps one star ocean. I liked them well enough. are the other ones any good? I've heard very mixed reviews.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@odd69: I couldn't agree with you more. I don't give a crap how cool their cutscenes are...if the gameplay isn't to my liking, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

@rjejr: This trailer is meant to be reminiscent of Sega-CD-style animated cutscenes...and it does a good job of that. But I can definitely see where people wouldn't realize it was a JRPG based on that footage alone.

As there ISN'T any gameplay footage, I'm not really excited yet. I'm sure they'll be able to grab my attention sooner or later, but for now I'll just move on. Certainly not Kickstarting or anything crazy like that, at any rate.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@odd69 100% agree. Would also add that when a game is advertised on TV they should show gameplay too. Most games don't and you can tell its because they're actually not very good.