By the Nine! The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Voted Game of the Generation on Amazon

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Dragonborn to win

Running from 1st June to 4th August, mammoth online retailer Amazon.co.uk hosted a poll which pitted some of the biggest games of this console generation against each other in a tournament-style showdown. And Bethesda's open world epic, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, came out on top.

The 2011 release fought off Super Mario Galaxy, BioShock, and The Last of Us to claim its place as the greatest game of the generation. Other finalists included Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto IV, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Bethesda's own Fallout 3. We can't help but wonder what would have happened had this poll taken place after the release of Grand Theft Auto V, though.

Did you cast your vote? Do you agree with the winner – or even the finalists? Let your rage be heard in the comments section below.

[via amazon.co.uk]

AVahne

AVahne said:

Wow....it's not a bad game...but it's very far from being the greatest, especially for this gen.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

GOTY? Ok. GOTG? I can think of plenty of games with this game not in sight.

Oh well as the saying goes: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's too early to declare The Last of Us game of the generation. I can absolutely see the case for Skyrim — that game is incredible. I honestly don't know what my favourite is. Uncharted 2's definitely up there for me, alongside Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, and LittleBigPlanet 2.

I think my pick would probably go to Red Dead Redemption. Having said that, I hate the controls in that game... Hmm. I don't know.

@ShogunRok Haha, yes. Spilling over from your Narco Terror review, I actually think there's a case to be made for Super Stardust HD and PixelJunk Monsters as Game of the Generation (certainly on PlayStation, anyway). Both have weathered the test of time and remain pretty much flawless.

You look at something like GTA4, and, while it was amazing, I don't think I'd have the patience to play it now. Same with MGS4. Both have aged poorly in my opinion.

Cirno

Cirno said:

Gaming community pls.

Out of the ones I have played the only ones that are truly memorable is Bioshock, Portal 2, Uncharted 2 and Super Mario Galaxy.

Also @get2sammyb I do have to agree that it's way too early to say If The Last of Us is the game of the Generation or even the best game ever (I saw numerous TLoU votes for the greatest game ever on a bloody Nintendo forum, which is an indication of the absurd amount of praise it's getting.)

Also just mayyybbbeee TLoU is a bit disappointing to me, but that's a whole other can of worms.

@Magolor The thing is, people gravitate towards what's fresh. That's only natural, but it skews the results a touch. There's absolutely no question that TLoU deserves to be on a shortlist of the generation's greatest games, but it'll take a few years before we can truly understand its impact.

In all honesty, Wii Sports is probably the game of the generation. That title changed everything.

RawShark

RawShark said:

I was going to vote... then I took an arrow to th...

Ok! Ok! I'm sorry! I couldn't resist.

8vpiper

8vpiper said:

Releasing a game in that state is pathetic in my opinion! at least I got my refund :)

To be honest could be my first experience with it thats tainting my judgement but I would take Demon Souls over Skyrim any day of the week! well I would take journey over skyrim too! YEAH why no Journey!!!!!!!!

From the games there I would have gone with last of us (all opinions are personal, please don't kill me)

Actually thats what i would remember about this generation Broken games! so maybe it is a fitting title. hmmmmmm

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

lol not one 360 exclusive in that list............thats sad, although Skyrim without mods.......yes its very overrated especially after they treated the PS3 users like crap.

EDIT; I replaced my swear word lol

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@get2sammyb As far as motion based games go, I'm gonna have to say that Sports Champions is superior. Sure it came out years after Wii Sports, but it was an extremely solid game - especially when it came to responsiveness in Gladiator Duel and Table Tennis.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Personally I think saying Skyrim is the best game of this generation isn't too far off the mark... at least on PC. On PS3, its array of technical problems ruin its chances completely.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@get2sammyb Now you see from my side what it's like if you dare mention Nintendo :P For what it's worth I agree with you, Wii Sports is the most likely winner as it got non gamers into games. The multi-billion pound industry would likely be nowhere near as big if it weren't for that game. Like it or lump it, Nintendo-haters.
For me personally it has to be Super Mario Galaxy 2, closely followed by Red Dead Redemption. Nothing comes near those two in this generation or the last.

@Lelouch I agree that Sports Champions is probably a better game — I love it — but it wouldn't exist without Wii Sports. That's kinda the point I'm making.

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

@get2sammyb whats considered generation btw? Because Skyward Sword AND Twilight Princess were both on the Wii......just like the end of this year with BF4, AC4, and Watch Dogs............could they be considered for both generations....or do you just take the newest if you personally were going to do something like this?

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@ViciousDS @get2sammyb I'm guessing it'd be anything on current gen consoles, even if they pass over as ports to previous or future machines.

So basically, anything that's a PlayStation 3 title.

3Above

3Above said:

I see the case for wii sports, its did change al8t and spawned other motion games but Skyrim? Red Dead changed alot too ( mgs 5 has horse back riding ) so did Uncharted 2 with its cinematics ( I still personally belive SE reboot of Tomb Raider was inspired by Uncharted 2) but have there been alot of games that were influenced or copied Skyrim?

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

What's a generation? : )
Skyrim's the best game made so far. It's not perfect, but there's nothing that beats it yet. Especially if you've played the other games in order at their releases (but all these kids weren't even born in '94. I was only 6 but waaaay into PC gaming).
P.S. You mean "by the eight"...

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Skyrim. Seriously? Sure Im enjoying playing through it on PC at the moment but its FAR, FAAAAAR from the best game this generation. Anyone who's been here long enough will have seen this statement by me a few times ---> Oblivion is better than Skyrim! I still think that too. But seriously...Skyrim is better than Persona 4 Golden? Hell I dont even think its better RPG than Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. The original Bioshock is far more deserving of the title than Skyrim on that shortlist. Actually every other game ,bar GTA4, is more worthy of that honour. @rastamadeus Yes, That also includes Mario :P

Splat

Splat said:

Why don't we have our own tournament-style showdown? It would probably have to be PS3 and Vita since this is a Playstation site but could be fun.

ObviouslySheik

ObviouslySheik said:

I agree with Skyrim. I think it's definitely representative of our generation. It's got the open world, the grafics, the depth, not to mention its an RPG. I think the award should either go to Skyrim or The Last of Us. And I don't get why some people didn't like Skyrim on PS3.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I actually agree that Skyrim was the game of the generation (so far). I certainly have not put 200+ hours of game-play (PS3) into anything else. Nor have I seen any other game discussed so much around the traps. But I agree that GTAV is still coming, so it is too early to start giving out this award just yet, it will be a contender.

Scorpio73

Scorpio73 said:

I think it's a good choice, as I have not put as many hours into any other game I have from this generation at the moment. This game just really clicked with me.

Azikira

Azikira said:

This game is sickeningly over-rated. I put over a thousand hours into Morrowind WITHOUT the DLC, about 700 in Oblivion, and -maybe- 40 into Skyrim. It's too overly simplified, the story is far too short (coming from Oblivion to Skyrim, that's saying a lot) with bad menu design and limited world content (in my opinion). This wouldn't even be my GOTY. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but nowhere near Game of the Generation.

Grockumus

Grockumus said:

@Lelouch
Sports Champions was such an amazing game to me. Disc Golf and Table Tennis were pretty much my favorites simply because of how spot-on they were to the real thing. Gladiator Duel was probably the most fun (especially on splitscreen competitive with some friends).
Sports Champions 2, on the other hand... [massive facepalm] c'mon! There's already tons of Golf, Bowling, and Tennis games for the Move already, Boxing was horrible compared to The Fight: Lights Out, and Archery was dumbed down a lot from the first game. I think Skiing was the only "neat" idea on there, but I personally can't stand racing games all that much. Oh, and the character customization was butt-ugly.

Hetsumani

Hetsumani said:

Games have become so good that it's actually very hard (for me at least) to say that "X game" is the best of them all.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Glad to see an awful, buggy mess like Skyrim get some recognition for once.

/sarcasm

I agree with Sammy; I believe Wii Sports deserves the 'Game of the Generation' moniker (though Mario Galaxy 2 is my personal favourite). It ushered in a new era by expanding the videogame audience - and as a result became the highest selling (bundled) game of all time.

On Playstation though, my favourite was MGS4.