This Cloud Strife Costume Makes Lightning Even Moodier

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Power of the cloud

Final Fantasy VII is finally entering the HD era – well, sort of. By pre-ordering Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, you'll snag a SOLDIER uniform that's more than a little reminiscent of Cloud Strife's original attire, along with his iconic Buster Sword.

The final chapter in Lightning's tale was recently delayed until next February, so if you're eager to see the grumpy protagonist flaunting a pair of baggy pants, then you've still got plenty of time to secure your copy. Take a look at the official trailer, and let us know if you think that Lightning can pull off this uncharacteristically drab outfit in the comments section below.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@FullbringIchigo As far as I can tell, it's just preorders in general.

EDIT: That said, PlayStation just tweeted the game's preorder page on Amazon. But there's no mention of specific retailers on any of the promotional material.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

Well this is a little bid odd... Kinda surprised they didn't pick one of FF's many female characters instead.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

@get2sammyb

Hmm, good point. I haven't honestly cared about a mainline FF release since XII, kind of, I'd say X was more of the breaking point. The whole Lightning Saga has looked really boring and un-FF. Oh how the series has fallen.

Also, shameless plug for classic FF music here: OCRemix just published their massive, and free, 5 disc remix of FF VI yesterday. Anyone who likes FF music should check it out. :P

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I was only able to find Samurai Pack on Amazon.co.uk, but wasn't able to get find the Cloud stuff in EU.

Azikira

Azikira said:

If I'm not mistaken, that image says "From Final Fantasy VIII". Did they check their homework when they made this? Final Fantasy 8 starred Squall, not Cloud.

Snorky

Snorky said:

I'm not really sure what made them even consider making this sequel. After finishing ff13 I was left feeling that I hadn't really accomplished much. Definitely not the feeling that made me love some of the previous entries in the series. Hated the combat system of ff13, and even though they were trying to tell an emotional story, it felt like it was an emotional story told by someone void of all emotion. All Lightning had going for her as a MC is #1 That she was female. #2 That she was female. I really hope that the new final fantasy can win back my love of squeenix.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

@JayArr I second that. I wish they would have given her a Tifa, Aerith, or even a Yuffie costume. I wouldn't have such an awkward boner.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

What a sad, desperate attempt by SquareEnix to try and get people to buy a game nobody was asking for. Here's a better idea... just remake FF VII already and maybe people will stop hating you.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Fan-service skin for pre-orders Square? No, you guys need a sizable demo that's fun to win people back after the last couple of FF games.