The Last of Us Trots Past 3.4 Million Sales Globally

Look out for a sequel, then

Who says that you can’t launch new properties at the end of a generation? Sony has revealed that The Last of Us has sneaked past 3.4 million sales after just three weeks on the market. The figure comprises worldwide Blu-ray disc sell-in numbers and digital downloads. The press release adds that the title has “surpassed expectations to become the fastest-selling PlayStation 3 title of 2013”.

"The teams at Naughty Dog are true visionaries and their storytelling capabilities are second to none, this title is an undisputed demonstration of that," said an elated Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. "Sony Computer Entertainment continues to be committed to delivering unique gameplay experiences that redefine the interactive entertainment industry and The Last of Us is a perfect example."

The success of the title is not entirely surprising, considering that it’s one of the greatest games of the generation. “An assured, touching, and engrossing adventure, The Last of Us represents a watershed moment for the medium,” we concluded in our review. Have you contributed to the title’s impressive sales tally, or are you still waiting to scavenge your copy? Let us know in the comments section below.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Agree, and one of those 3.4 million was me! The ending had me pacing the floor for about an hour. I just needed to talk to someone about it.

Snorky

Snorky said:

@Ginkgo haha, I know that feeling all too well! I'm glad to see this doing soo well. I do wish that Ni no Kuni had such great sales figures too.

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

I'm conflicted. I feel like I should have been buying such a great game new, but I already have a second-hand copy.

I won't be buying it again, but you know what I mean.

I suppose I'll give my money to ND through the Season Pass, then.

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

awkward sounds like they made an easy profit with these sales yet square enix posted losses for hitman (6 million) and tomb raider (3 million) looks like Squeenix has some explaining to do because those games had to have made profits as well

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Very good news, this game deserves all the sales it gets. I guess it means there's a 100% chance of a follow up now, which will be interesting to see how Naughty Dog goes about it.

@ViciousDS

The problem with SquareEnix is it's such a terribly managed company. Pretty clearly lots of resources were thrown at Tomb Raider but the fact is that FF XIII 2 bombing didn't help matters. Of course that moronic company will never admit that line of FF games was a horrendous idea that may very well have hurt the series reputation beyond repair. Especially since after the first game they decided to make two more in the XIII universe that nobody asked for.

Splat

Splat said:

If they don't make another Tomb Raider I'm going to be very upset. The Last of Us is the only game I liked more so far this year.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

@Gamer83 I havent enjoyed a single ff game since x. Lol however I didnt even like 8 or 9 much. Im weird I suppose. I miss how ff used to be.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Subie98

I must be more strange because I've actually never enjoyed the FF series. I just don't like turn based battle systems. I always had respect for the franchise though, at least through the SNES days. It seemed to be and hit and miss thereafter. People love VII and the majority seemed to enjoy IX and X but I remember VIII, X-2 and XII getting mixed reactions. We all know what people think of XIII.