No, You Can't Turn Off the DualShock 4's Light Bar

Caught in headlights

The light bar on the top of the DualShock 4 is easily one of the device’s neatest features. It gives the unit a futuristic quality, and is also used for some pretty impressive PlayStation Move-esque motion tracking in technology demo The Playroom. However, its inclusion has us a little concerned about television glare – and sadly Sony’s confirmed that should that become a problem, you won’t be able to turn the beam off.

Asked on Twitter if the illuminated strip could be shut down to preserve the controller’s battery life, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida simply responded, “No.” It’s possible, however, that the firm may change its mind in the future, and add an option to do so with a simple firmware update.

In addition to being used for motion tracking, the light bar is also being employed for an additional layer of gameplay feedback. In Killzone: Shadow Fall, for example, the strip changes colour based on your health, while in Hohokum the bulb switches shade according to the hue of your snake. It’s definitely a neat effect, but we reckon that an option to switch it off if necessary would be appreciated.

[via twitter.com, playstationlifestyle.net]

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Bit of a shame. Depending on just how bright it is, I can see it being a pain if you play games like The Last Of Us in the dark at night. I'm also concerned about the light strip on the console itself.

Since they're not packing in the camera, it will be doubly unfortunate if the game doesn't make use of it at all. Wonder if there's any chance that the games themselves can turn it on or off? Though I guess if they could, you'd be able to do so yourself.

Still, you could always cover them with masking/electrical tape if necessary.

I don't think it will affect battery life too much. The DS4 supposedly has a bigger battery anyway, so it should last at least as long as a DS3.

@Paranoimia Yeah, battery life shouldn't be an issue. Move is really good in this area.

I really do think this will add some cool ambient lighting, so games like The Last of Us could probably benefit from the inclusion of the light bar. Choice is always good, though, so an option to switch it off would probably be appreciated for those that don't like it.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

@get2sammyb Yeah, it's only an LED, and they use next to nothing. It's the rumble motors that use most power. The DS3 battery life is noticeably reduced when you play a game with lots of rumble feedback.

JayArr

JayArr said:

As someone who constantly misplaces their controller when taking short breaks I appreciate this light.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@JayArr - thats pretty funny, yet true.

Turning it off should still be an option though. Taking eletrical tape on and off would be a pain.

Maybe Belkin or Madkatz will sell a snap-on replaceable cover accessory like that ball of clay Rudolph's dad put on his nose. (Think reindeer)

pikku

pikku said:

I'd rather have the ability to turn it off, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

The cool thing is that they're willing to make it an option if people are bothered by it, we'll let them know if it's an issue after we try it out.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Is it even that bright to cause a glare on the TV screen? deosnt look like it from the pictures plus my TV deosn't seem to have much of a reflective panel. IF I point my phones camera light at my TV theres a bit of glare, but in all honesty the LED is blinding on my phone n I cant see the light bar being as bright as that

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm perfectly fine with keeping the light on as I'm only using this for PC. Would love to have that light on when playing games like Vindictus and Tera Online.

7Vita

7Vita said:

I'd like to be able to turn it off please, at the very least for games that don't use it for anything vital to gameplay. I often game in a dark room and having a glowing light in my hand would be kinda distracting.

I'm pretty sure this will be a popular request so hopefully they'll sort it out.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

That TV glare thing COULD be an issue...I have the PlayStation 3D display, and this thing is INSANELY reflective. As it stands, it's pretty common for the little red dot on the PS3 controller to glare back at me...and this light bar is obviously MUCH larger.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Wow ppl... does a light reeeaaalllly bug all of u that much! Its Not even that bright and no worries about it.leaving a glare on your TV wich was the most amusing or of all these mild complaints! Its an LED that uses next to nothing aswell so no worries about battery life! Heck I welcome the light that's for sure, better that that boring little red led on the DS3, and at least it has amore than 1purpose to be there! =D Wish they had them in other colors! !! Then I'd order another b4 launch!

ObviouslySheik

ObviouslySheik said:

Are we really this nitpicky already? I really don't think glare will be an issue. Just wait. It'll launch and everyone will be relieved.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

That firmware update should come sooner than later. There's just no reason it can't automatically turn on only when a game needs it for added play features.