UK Sales Charts: The Last of Us Sneaks to the Summit

It can't be for nothing

Launching new properties this late in the generation is always a risky proposition, but The Last of Us has overcome a variety of obstacles to top the UK sales charts. It represents Sony’s first number one since the release of Uncharted: Golden Abyss last year, and is the biggest selling new IP since L.A. Noire all the way back in 2011. Not bad, huh?

Outside of Naughty Dog’s opus, it was a slow week for new releases. GRID 2 parked up in third, while Tomb Raider held on in fourth. Elsewhere, FIFA 13 dropped into Europa League territory in fifth, while Injustice: Gods Among Us showcased its superpowers in sixth. Familiar favourites The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed III rounded out the top ten.

We assume that we don’t need to ask you what you’ve been spending your cash on, huh? You can peruse the full list of movers and shakers through here.

[via chart-track.co.uk]

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Sat down to play for an hour or two at 10:30pm last night. Next thing I knew, got to a cut scene and noticed it was getting light out... 4:15am!

Totally engrossing game. Hard going emotionally, but brilliant stuff.

Trophies are... odd, though. Very unlike a Naughty Dog game, but understandable why.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I got this game and Animal Crossing New Leaf on Friday, thought they made a nice contrast to one another...

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@ZeD Bad? It is so emotional:S Really Really sad. You will not expect a thing believe me. Best game intro in years

Splat

Splat said:

The Last of Us is a gaming masterpiece. It has the best acting/voice work of any game I have ever played. It's easily the early favorite for Game of the Year.

Snorky

Snorky said:

@Splat Originally I was thinking GotY would be a battle between Beyond:Two Souls and Last of US, but having played a bit of TLoU I cannot see any other game being better than it this year. It feels like a generation defining game, it almost feels that it just wants to shout "This is what ps3 means to us!"

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

I think with the quality of Naughty dog we could expect them to destroy every game on the PS4 and xbox one:D Which is good!

WispMetas

WispMetas said:

1st game i ever got on launch or pre-ordered X) It deserves the top-spot it is amazing :D

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Looking forward to seeing North American numbers as well. I hope this is a huge hit for Naughty Dog, it certainly deserves to be. I'm not done with the game yet, but as long as the second half doesn't go terribly wrong, it's well on its way to topping Naughty Dog's other fantastic game, Uncharted 2, as the best exclusive this gen.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Sanquine

I don't want to get too 'spoilery' here but I will say while I didn't cry during the intro, it was sad and I was pissed the heck off. Games don't usually get that kind of a reaction out of me except when I'm facing a cheap final boss in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.