Talking Point: What Do You Think of the PS4's Hardware Design?

Spill your thoughts on Sony's latest console

Sony laid out the design of the PlayStation 4 like an open book at its press conference earlier this evening – a fitting metaphor, considering the console kind of resembles a hard-back tome. The hardware has an angled surface to it, and has a pronounced split across the spine. There’s a splash of blue in there, which is definitely reminiscent of the PlayStation 2 days.

The question is: what do you think of it? Do you like the design, or do you think that it’s ugly? It’s definitely a lot more stylised than the Xbox One, which has a rather forgetful look to it. But that means that this is likely to prove much more divisive. Let us know your thoughts on the hardware in the comments section below.

What do you think of the PS4's hardware design? (85 votes)

Wow, I really like it

61%

Not sure, but it will grow on me

28%

Urgh, it’s ugly as sin

11%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I actually like the Xbox One deisign over the PS4. The PS4 looks like its a prototype of the Xbox One, still though looks dont matter. The price the used game policy the online check in is why I the PS4 will be my other system next to the Wii U.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Don't care what it looks like for $399.

The stand will be $50.

Is the Eye officially in the box yet? Its in the photo.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Umm ok wow am I the only one who thinks this looks just like the xbox1
To me it's as if the same person designed it wtf

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

It looks a lot slicker and sexier than the XBO. I might have to find someplace to put it, so that everyone can see it.

@LDXD It's only the split on the top that's making you compare. They're pretty different other than that. Well, aside from them being black boxes.

3Above

3Above said:

Ita PS2 slim crossed with a black Wii. But i dont care, it looks cool and its $399!!! ANd Versus still exists. Its over the PS2 days are coming back!

LDXD

LDXD said:

@get2sammyb yeah but honestly the best news ive heard all day no drm and $400 its almost to good to be true man haha
So i don't care what it looks like ok yeah im pretty happy now :)
Sony is doing everything right so far

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

A bigger meh than Xbox One design, but I'm pleased that Sony did almost the complete opposite of what I was expecting regarding the real important stuff and since I don't play the design of a game console, I'm willing to look past it. It's better than the original PS3 design anyway.

MaxaMod

MaxaMod said:

the size is way smaller the the fat and slim ps3 .. and yes i like it ''it screams gaming console''

Itachi

Itachi said:

$399 looks beautiful to me. I do wish it would have been smaller but that's really not a big deal either.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I am a fan of the simpler look of the Wii U and the Xbox1, but it could certainly be worse I suppose.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

I dunno.. It's not the greatest looking thing in the world...but who cares right?? It what's on the inside that counts :)

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

First look reminded me of the PS2, but updated. Looks pretty good. At least is sleek, and not a mammoth. The box in the end is not a big deal, as long as it's not an eye soar taking up too much space.

Knux

Knux said:

Looks like two slim PS2s taped together, and yet I still like it.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I like it. It doesn't look much like a "PlayStation 4", but I like the lines and angles. I was expecting something a bit more crazy, but I'm glad it is more simplistic.

Also, where's that round bit they showed in the teaser?! I think they tricked us.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

I like it alot.. I'm just ready to see if both companies learned from their previous generation and made sure the first models don't have overheating problems.. My fat PS3 fried on me a while back

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I actually really like it, the split gives it a fancy, hight-tech look while still managing to keep it rather sleek and minimalistic.

For some reason it also reminds me of a chocolate bar, especially when looking at the front.:P

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

I like it alot actually. It's sexy and simple. Elegant angles break it up and give it a little panache.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

I really like it. It looks like a next gen console. In the forums I posted that I wanted it to be similar to the orginal Ps2. The angled design surely delivers that and the price had me clapping at a ridiculous hour in the morning lol

Neo517

Neo517 said:

Oh God, where is the multi A/V out ?
Need to connect them red and white audio cable to my stereo ? Like I do with my PS3 at present.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

Idc what it looks like it could be a kitty liter box and I'd buy it for $399.00 the specs are better then the xbox and its cheaper! Who cares what box looks better

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

In pictures it's ok, not anything special, but ok. However when it was on stage and "in the flesh" it looked disgusting. Would need to see it for myself before judging but at the moment it's merely a "it'll do."

That poll, once again, is misleading. The options are I like it, it's ok but I'll grow to like it or its rubbish. In what way would that ever give a reflection? May as well have just got rid of the middle option. I think it looks ok but if I click that it basically means on this poll that the design is good as "I'll grow to like it" which wouldn't be what I was thinking. Sony paying you to make these polls, Sammy? You should be a spin doctor, haha.