Proposed PS4 Release Date Is Merely Speculation, Says Sony

Platform holder puts ice on rumours

Retailers around Europe started erecting 13th November release date banners for the PlayStation 4 this week, but the manufacturer has labelled the window as little more than “speculation”. German giant Media Markt was one of the first outlets to state the date, before being followed by a slew of other online stores. Thus far, Sony’s said that the next generation console will launch in North America and Europe this holiday.

With Microsoft set to deploy the Xbox One in November, we suspect that the Japanese company will try to beat its closest competitor to the punch. From where we’re sitting, 29th October looks like a good date. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Battlefield 4 are both set to release on that day, so it would be massive if the console could accompany the banner titles.

Regardless, we suspect that the firm will wait until the last possible moment to share an official date. Given the reactionary mood of its Redmond-based counterpart, it’s not going to want to give Microsoft any opportunity to respond. When do you think that the PS4 will launch? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via playstationlifestyle.net]

Foulkey

Foulkey said:

You say the Xbox could be released the same day as BF4 and AC4, but i thought that the next gen versions of those games come out at a later date? Or have a miss read one of the thousand articles on the internet?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

October sounds good to me. :)

Really though Sony can't miss Black Friday so I suspect Nov. 19 at the absolute latest.

@Foulkey They can't announce the release date of the next generation versions until the consoles have a date. I'm saying that 29th October would be a good date for PS4 because it would give it headstart on the Xbox One, and would also be at a time when there's likely to be a lot of foot traffic in stores.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

it may be speculation but at least it gives us a ball park date

i kind of hope they release it before the XB1 though just to give them a head start

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

Also hope that Sony'll release before MS...but I think that will happen. Sony seems very much in the zone right now. :)

Oct. 29th would be awesome! The sooner, the better! :)

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

The last week of October would be a good way to get a start on them. I'm putting my bets on a late October release date right now. (Side question: What say of the week do Sony consoles usually launch?)

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

It could be true but my guess was the 23rd because COD and Watchdogs will be out by then. Who cares about what MS does. They don't care about anything but our money.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

@Gamer83 I don't think there will be any to go around by then with pre-orders. I have mine almost paid off already. Black Friday isn't what it used to be I remember seeing Wii U boxes at Wal-mart and no one cared until I said something to my gf. I will be standing outside my Game Stop the night before at midnight no matter what day it is. I might not make it to class the next day.lol

LampShade

LampShade said:

So why would they be making this date up, Sony not ready to publicly announce date for.whatever bonehead idea

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I really had hope Sony/Microsoft would have announced the release date ad E3, but guess Gamescon will be the place it's announced.

I just hope there will be a PS4 for me and my friend on Day 1.