E3 2013: The Order: 1886 Pits Mankind Against an Ancient Foe

Not the London you know

We’ve been craving a game set in Victorian London for practically eons now – it was one of the first things that we thought about when the trademark registrations for The Order: 1886 originally leaked – so you can perhaps appreciate our excitement when the first trailer for Ready At Dawn’s brand new PlayStation 4 exclusive offered a glimpse at a gloomy Westminster.

The title’s set in an alternate history, and takes place shortly after the Industrial Revolution. Unlike in the real world, though, this period of technological advancement has been fuelled by an ongoing conflict against an ancient terror. The specific details of the confrontation are being kept under wraps, but judging by the trailer, you’ll have access to some impressive steampunk-esque firepower to detain your foes.

Throughout the adventure, you’ll interact with a number of notable figures from the period, who will aid you in your quest against evil. We suppose that the likes of Florence Nightingale, Queen Victoria, and William Gladstone are all candidates that could crop up here.

Impressively, the game’s using some fancy visual effects to give it a film-like feel. This ranges from lenses to lighting techniques and more. Even better, creative director Ru Weerasuriya explained on the PlayStation Blog that the developer didn’t want any discrepancy between cinematics and gameplay, so the trailer that you see below is rendered in-engine, in-game without any additional gimmicks.

Pop this one on our wishlist.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

It seems like this is going to have a co-op focus, doesn't it? I must admit, I was hoping for a full-on historical adventure — and could do without the monsters — but the atmosphere and setting have got me hooked. Ready At Dawn's an awesome developer, so can't wait to learn more about this.

3Above

3Above said:

I hope that Jack The Ripper factors in to the story since the Ripper murders took place in 1888. Cant wait to find out more about this game! !

@3Above I think it's certain. They also show Whitechapel in the trailer, which is where Jack the Ripper struck hardest I believe.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I had been wondering what these guys were up to and once I saw "Santa Monica Studios" I knew that "Ready at Dawn" wouldn't be far behind. I was afraid that it would turn into a Assassin's Creed/ Dishonoured mash-up, and I'm very glad that that isn't how it turned out.

While I am surprised by the monsters - I think they were called Hammerheads - I don't mind them being included. I just hope that they get used to their full potential, because they could make things very interesting.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Great developer, great setting, of the few new IPs announced across all platforms this E3 this might be my most anticipated. Quantum Break is up there too but I just really like the era they decided to set this one in and look forward to learning more about it.