E3 2013: The Dark Sorcerer Rises in Extended Technology Demo

"What mask?"

Much like last year’s Kara technology demonstration, The Dark Sorcerer is Quantic Dream’s latest experiment for the PlayStation 4. The video is running in realtime on the next generation console, and represents the first version of the French studio’s latest engine. However, the developer stresses that the footage is not necessarily indicative of the next project in production at the Parisian outfit.

In a lengthy post on the PlayStation Blog, director David Cage explained that the company wanted to challenge itself with comedy, as it requires a very different approach to fear and love. The demo itself composes of a set rendered using roughly one million polygons, while each character employs a similar figure, as well as 350MB of textures, and approximately 40 shaders.

And this is just the first iteration of the technology. “The features scheduled for the final version of the engine haven’t yet been implemented,” explained Cage. “This demo is only a first test that is well below the visual quality that we hope to achieve in our next game.” That title is rumoured to be based on Ray Kurzweil’s speculative novel The Singularity Is Near, and is believed to explore similar themes to the aforementioned Kara video.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

As far as Quantic Dreams tech demo's go, This was pretty good. It was interesting to see them do a bit of comedy for a change and a first look at thier Ps4 engine is always a bonus. To be honest I much preferred Kara. Kara was simply amazing and you can tell Beyond is built on that iteration of thier engine. I preferred seeing the new Beyond footage at E3 to this, but im interested in seeing what they plan to do on Ps4 with this new tech

LordBagardo

LordBagardo said:

It was funnier than I expected and it showed us a lot of interesting stuff that devs can do with PS4. Trust David Cage to envision a videogame as a movie set, though...

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

H O L Y MOLY!

Itachi

Itachi said:

I really liked the demo. When i 1st saw it at E3 I thought it was going to be a game.

Banedracul

Banedracul said:

@ViciousDS EXACTLY my reaction when I read that. It kind of blows my mind that games can look that (or about that) good now. I was originally going to stick with the Wii U this generation, but Sony completely sold me with their conference.