E3 2013: Sony's Decided to Boost Internal Sales Estimates for PS4

Pretty much on cloud nine

Oh to be a fly on the wall at Sony right now. The company may not have had the greatest E3 showing in memory, but it absolutely smashed it out of the park on the points that mattered – and it’s riding out of this year’s convention on a rainbow coloured unicorn as a result. We already reported earlier that pre-orders for the PlayStation 4 have surged following Monday night’s press conference, but the Wall Street Journal has added that the organisation is boosting its internal sales projections for the machine as a result.

While it’s not entirely clear how many systems the Japanese giant intends to sell – or indeed manufacture – SCEA executive Jack Tretton told the publication that GameStop will buy “every single unit” that the firm produce – a sentiment that’s incredibly been validated by a representative for the North American retailer. However, group president Andrew House warned that the demand could “well outstrip supply”. In short, if you want a PS4 at Christmas, go and pre-order one now.

[via online.wsj.com]

Reckon they will beat Microsoft to the market, too? Xbox One is out in November, so a late October launch could be the killer blow?

Itachi

Itachi said:

@get2sammyb, wouldn't be surprised if Sony did that. They appear to be taking the fight directly to Microsoft, and I honestly don't think MS was prepared for that. Microsoft has basically been on the defensive even months before the Xbox One was announced. Sony has been in attack mode since February and even the early reveal in Feb was a blow to Microsoft as they clearly wasn't prepared.

@ajay708 I think it makes sense, too, because they'll clear out their initial inventory at launch, but will have a month to ship a second batch before Black Friday. If Microsoft launches in mid-November, they may not have time to replenish store shelves fully.

@TheRealBatman If you really want one, I think it's wise. It might not sell out at all, but console launches can be crazy. You may regret if you don't, and that would suck.

Itachi

Itachi said:

@get2sammyb I think a lot of people that don't know any better are still gonna buy a Xbox One. The way I see it playing out is a lot of people will still buy an Xbox One thinking they are getting a true successor to the 360, Only to find out what they have is something totally different. On paper it looks good and sounds cool, but not everyone is into blogging so a lot of people still don't know all the changes that are taking place with the new Xbox. It's going to lead to another backlash because it's gonna piss a lot of people off when they find out that they need the internet in order to play even single player games, and the games that they paid for is not really theirs to own.

@ajay708 Yeah, I agree, I still expect the Xbox One to sell very well. If it continues down the path it's going, though, it's going to lose a lot of its fans. They've just announced that you'll only be able to 'play' the console in the territories highlighted in the image embedded below. I haven't had chance to read into it, but it seems crazy that the system won't work in pretty much most of the world. I'm pretty sure I must be missing something, but here's the image they put out:

Untitled

Nuts.

Itachi

Itachi said:

@get2sammyb That is crazy and maybe you'll think I'm crazy for saying this but I swear it seems like Microsoft really is trying to sabotage themselves on purpose because the decisions their making makes no sense at all. Based on that diagram they've basically cut off a full half of the world to their platform. Maybe I'm missing something but It just doesn't make sense.

Snorky

Snorky said:

Xbone is gonna sell loads of consoles. There are people who will happily pay $500, put up with shoddy ownership ideals etc just for the chance to play Halo. There seems to be quite alot of buzz around dead rising 3 also. I think they've taken Sony's stance at the last generation. People will buy their consoles, so they just dont give a damn.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I gonna pre-order a PS4 tommorow while I'm out to get lunch. I might still be getting it for Chirstmas, but I don't want to run into availability issues. Even if the Xbox One sells just as well as PS4, PS4 will still be getting the core gamers who buy the most games, meaning PS4 will be the better console in the eyes of dev and publishers.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@Snorky I agree. Ive noticed it when I visit some friends for a chat at my local Grainger Games. We'll all be chuckling away to ourselves as people talk about the XboxOne completely oblivious to all the DRM, Online connectivity etc. You'll be suprised just how many people have no idea about M$ DRM policy and look completely baffled when they're told. These people already own 360's n the only gaming news they see is on the 360 dashboard n theres no way M$ are gonna announce any of thier used game policies on there lol I dont understand why people are getting hyped over Dead Rising 3. Honestly I dont. I remember the same thing happened at the 360's launch with the original and that turned out to be a 'meh' game to me...

Im gonna lose my day-one cherry with the Ps4. Ive been gameing a loooong time (started with Atari 2600) and Ive never bought a new console day one but Im pre-ordering on saturday. Always waited at least a few months for the dust to settle but Im super hyped this time around. Im probably more hyped than I was before the Ps2 launch. Its been a long time since Ive looked forward to a new console like this

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

well i live in asia and only ps4 is available this year so microsoft makes the decisions for me on what to buy :)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ShogunRok First thing I did when I saw that map was look at Japan, didnt even occur to me until I read your post thats its the entire area.
Guess they'll save s lot of money on game translations.

Any chance we can get PS4 photos without the PS Eye in it? Seems a bit disingenuous.

@MadchesterManc Yeah, I'm completely baffled by the hype for Dead Rising 3, too. And I'd absolutely be saying the same thing if it was coming to PS4. It looks so ordinary.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@get2sammyb Exactly. Even if it was as Ps4 exclusive id be the same to be honest. Ive still yet to play Dead Rising 2 as I disliked the original that much lol

This article popped up this morning if anyones interested. Microsoft explaining why they've done what they have. It sounds like they are trying to force the transition to digital downloads and have pretty much confirmed no turnaround on thier DRM policy

ViciousDS

ViciousDS said:

I don't see the xbox one getting many JRPG's........PS4 for me than, this is a joke ..........I see no incentive to getting the X1 and Hopefully I can find a PS4 for my little brother this holiday season while I continue to tell every parent I see on black friday all the problems with the X1 lol.........