E3 2013: Destiny of Spirits Sends You Soul Searching

Free-to-play title coming to Vita soon

Destiny of Spirits isn’t quite the PlayStation 4 epic that we imagined when it was first leaked. Instead, it’s a free-to-play social RPG for the PlayStation Vita, which sees you assembling an army of elemental spectres in order to penetrate increasingly challenging enemy defences. The game’s being produced by Lumines Electronic Symphony developer Q Entertainment, and allows you to discover new spirits by travelling around the globe and trading with friends.

It seems to be part of a wider push at Sony to get you to actually take your handheld out and about with you. Some characters will only be available in certain regions, so you’ll either need to communicate with folks abroad, or hop on a plane to grab them. It’s a solid idea, but with the gameplay strictly limited to turn-based battles, we wonder if it’ll hold your attention long enough to make you consider going to all of the effort.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

It's free-to-play, so I'll definitely give this a go. Bit disappointing, though.

ObviouslyAdachi

ObviouslyAdachi said:

This game looks very disappointing. I am not taking my Vita out and about just for this "game." If Sony wants me to use my Vita, maybe they should actually make some decent new games. All we have to look forward to THIS WHOLE YEAR is Tearaway and Killzone. Very disappointing Sony. I might sell my PlayStation stuff and switch to Nintendo. I know that's what a lot of people are doing.

JGMR

JGMR said:

We? Well, that excludes me, because there's more than enough for me to look forward to!

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@ObviouslyAdachi Maybe if you go to the forum of ps vita ( on this site) you see a lot of video's. BTW there will be new games but the problem is the PS4 took all the spotlights.. It's a shame people want to trade their vita.

JGMR

JGMR said:

People said the same kinda things during the first and second year of the PS2. People have zero patience nowadays, kinda annoys me. Don't people really love the games that they have anymore? How few that might be? I got a small collection of Vita games, and yet, I love em to death. Even if the Vita died today, I wouldn't sell it for all the money in the freaking world!

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

hmm...i actually prefer vita more than 3ds,,,i m having more fun with ss,ragnarok and edf! with friends than 3ds...with god eater 2,toukiden,this and hopefully phantasy star online 2...well its more than enough for me :)

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@ObviouslyAdachi While not all of them are exclusives, the Vita is getting; Tearaway, Malicious Rebirth, Killzone: Mercenary, The Walking Dead, GoW 1 & 2, Arkham Origins Blackgate, God Eater 2, 2 Hyperdimension Neptunia games, Rayman Legends, Invizimals, Jump-Stars Victory Vs and next year it's getting Freedom Wars.

JGMR

JGMR said:

I just might leave this site. I'm getting really annoyed by the so-called gamers here. As if a console's entire life-cycle has come to an end due to the expectations of a freaking show. Tokyo Game Show? Gamescom? Even later?Never mind. It's all finished according to some. Well, I am finished with doom and gloom and ungrateful, tunnel-visioning people. Go and play MGS2 and LEARN. Goodbye.

LigerZeroN

LigerZeroN said:

Im ok with this, since I don't know when Picotto Knights is going to be release here in the states. Last I heard about Picotto was that it's release was going to be in the first quarter of 2013, and we're already in the second quarter and still waiting. ;(

JGMR

JGMR said:

@Sanquine No, I know, not you. Maybe I'll come back later on the forum, just not now. But to be honest it just disgusts me what the general gaming audience has become over the years. It has grown from a small and hardcore sub-culture into a gigantic mass of moaning, crying babies who want a newer, shinier toy all the time -24/7-. Not because they really want the toy or because they really love it, but because they want to keep on wanting. It's non-ending. And it's not limited to gaming either; there's no real passion for art anywhere, only a endless need for sensation.

Snorky

Snorky said:

@JGMR Lets be honest about this whole matter though, lets say I have an excellent product with tons of potential, but for a few reasons it's not selling well, lets say theres a huge advertising opportunity guaranteed to be watched by thousauds should I:
A: Give it minimal advertising space and hope people find information about it later.
B: Showcase my item and try and get more people on board.

I understand you're saying "Look! Vita isn't dead yet I found loads of trailers", but it really shouldn't be you saying that, it should be Sony during their conference. Pretty much every Vita owner watching that conference was left with a sour taste in their mouth just because it felt like Sony pushing Vita to the side, and everyone on the sidelines was given the impression that all the bad press the Vita suffers was true.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Vita to pieces. I know it's great, I just wish other people knew it too. Instead of Sony treating it like an embarrasing uncle, dancing the robot at a family gathering.

ObviouslyAdachi

ObviouslyAdachi said:

@JGMR

Well I'm sorry if I complain too much, I see your point. I just hate it when I pay a lot of money for something and it just gets shoved aside. Sure, new games are coming, but only a few of them have recognizable names(not that that indicates quality) and they all come out around the same time of year. And Sony is trying to compete with Nintendo and mobile devices in portable gaming. Mobile is hard for obvious reasons, but the 3DS has great games around every corner. Sony has a poor argument.