Yoshida: Always-Online Was Never an Option for PlayStation 4

Platform holder won't force you to stay connected

Sony’s next generation console will function best when you’re connected to the Internet, allowing you to track your friends and share gameplay footage. However, the manufacturer won’t force you to stay online – in fact, according to Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida, it’s something that never even crossed the company’s mind.

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it,” the executive told Game Informer magazine. “The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”

Microsoft has been slated by fans and the media for supposedly planning to produce an online only console, though these rumours were debunked by an internal memo earlier in the week. Where do you stand on the always-online debate? Do you think that the backlash to the next Xbox has been somewhat overblown? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via gameinformer.com, gamingeverything.com]

@MrSRArter I very much doubt it will be. Like the PS4, it will probably work best when connected. But I don't think it's going to stop you playing if you're not.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

expect sony is leaving it up to developers like Microsoft will. Destiny i just the first of a few games that will only play while online and others like watchdogs will lose alot when playing offline.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I don't have a problem when a specific -game- needs an internet connection, but not being able to play the console itself? It's ridiculous and controlling. What if I want to go to my friend's house for some couch co-op, and he doesn't have internet? This is why any online-only console would fail miserably.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@ShogunRok

Well they did have a patent for blocking used games which in some minds is just as bad. Good thing the pro consumer side got their way.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

My main concern with always-online consoles is what will happen when the company drops it like a hot potato in favor of their new console. I don't want my console becoming a fancy door stopper because the company decided I'm done with it.

The only thing I didn't like about the Xbox's always-online rumor being debunked was the way it was worded, that it "tolerates" being offline. I just don't like what it implies, I can tolerate a few bites of apricote without feeling sick to my stomach but that still doesn't mean much if you catch my drift. At any rate these rumors still make Sony look good.