This Trailer for Japan Studio's Latest Game Sure Caught Our Attention

We've got no idea what it is, though

Japan Studio is on fire. After years of deflecting questions pertaining to The Last Guardian and twiddling its thumbs, the Eastern outfit has actually decided to start making some games again. It’s already released the brilliant Soul Sacrifice this year, and still has both Puppeteer and Knack in the pipeline. But that’s not stopping the first-party developer from teasing a brand new project named Panopticon.

Sony’s been counting down to the announcement of this title for a while, and it finally released a debut trailer today. There’s no word on systems just yet, but it looks like a PlayStation Vita game to us. It seems like it will be following in the footsteps of Monster Hunter, with multiple players working together to slay gigantic creatures.

The platform holder’s promising to share more about the game on 21st May, which can’t come soon enough. Check out the trailer below, and let us know what you think in the comments section. Looks interesting, doesn’t it?

[via jp.playstation.com]

This looks like it could be pretty cool. It's unfortunate that every Japanese game involves fighting giant monsters these days, though.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Could be interesting - is this the supposed Vita game that's got everyone excited?

@get2sammyb I agree, it seems like every Japanese developer wants in on the Monster Hunter success.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

Apart from the giant monsters, it reminded me a bit of the SMT: Digital Devil Saga games.

Snorky

Snorky said:

It looks great! Part of me is hoping for a love story driven rpg that rivals ff7 ff10, but since i've been completely addicted to Soul Sacrifice recently, I wouldn't mind if it was another hunting game.
Fingers crossed for Android x Human relationship story. The whole barcode/numbers thing could be awesome story-wise. I.e They find out how to see how long people will live, then some people are born with extended lives (explains the million years on the baby) then they imprison them.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I think it looks really good.

I don't know a ton about the series, but it kind of reminds me of that Zero Escape game.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

The whole numbers thing reminds me of Death Note, but that's not important. What is important, is that this trailer was amazing and that actual gameplay footage can't come soon enough. I don't mind another monster fighting game, as long as it's good and this looks like it will be exactly that. I just hope it's for Vita and not a PS3 or PS4 game.

neumaus

neumaus said:

I will be SO disappointed if this turns out to be a PS3 game! THIS is the kind of game Vita needs more of!
(The character art made me think of Gravity Rush, and the numbers made me think of TWEWY.)

rjejr

rjejr said:

That looked so good I can't imagine it ever getting a western release.

I don't think the game is about the monsters, the trailer mostly looked like the trailer for Godzilla: Final Wars. And while Godzilla did get more screen time in that film he's typically relegated to the last 15 minutes of his movies.

The photo reminded me a lot of Neir, and I could see this game taking place during the opening scene time frame in that game, but the monsters kind of did away with that.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@rjejr The build up wouldn't have been so deliberately made to notice to then not have a worldwide release. You really think Sony can afford to not release all Vita games overseas with the console in the mess it is?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@rastamadeus - "You really think Sony can afford to not release all Vita games overseas with the console in the mess it is?"

I really think Sony should have lowered the price for the Vita by now in the west like they did in Japan, but Sony didn't care what I thought.
I really thought they should have gone w/ SD cards instead of their overly expensive proprietary stuff, but again they didn't listen.
I think this game is going to have a lot of dialogue in Japanese that will need to be translated and Sony may not spend the money for a translation to sell a few copies on Vita in the west. I'ld like to see it, but again I don't think Sony cares what I think.

And according to Sammy, who wrote the article - "There’s no word on systems just yet, ..."
So we're discussing a game that hasn't even been announced for the Vita yet, so discussing territories is probably a bit premature. I'ld like it on the PS3, but Sony hasn't asked me yet.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@rjejr Sony have been teasing a big PS Vita reveal for this week have they not? And now this game is revealed. Doesn't take a maths whizz to assume this is it. But it's just and assumption for now, albeit one that's is likely correct.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@rjejr Look at response of sammy. Maybe rastamadeus is right. This guy also was right about GT 6 coming to ps3.

hamispink

hamispink said:

It seemed to me that when he used the red thorn attack, it cost him whatever points they have over their heads. After it was done, the number was dropping like crazy. It seems like a Soul Sacrifice Blackrite system

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

After the no gt vita i want this vita only ! my ps3 catolgue is enormous but the vita lacks gangbusters !

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

After watching the whole trailer I think it's pretty clear its a Vita title. The graphics, although good, aren't PS3 level. Also think it has the hands of Project Siren (the Studio Japan studio that made Gravity Rush) all over it.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

The whole trailer's CGI anyway, but I'm confident this will be a Vita game.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

That was a great trailer. Looking forward to more info, not sure if it'll be my kind of game but it's Japan Studio so at least there's no doubt it will be high quality. Now, about Gravity Rush 2...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

That count down reminds me of the movie In Time, that one a from a few years ago where lifespan is used as currency. It also reminds me quite a bit of Dead Man Wonderland from the way they were arrested and forced to fight by the looks of it.

This certainly looks exciting, can't wait to find out more.

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

hoped its for the vita...if sony japan studio can start pumping these kind of games on a steady basis for the vita...den the vita will be around for a long time :)