Square Enix Conjures First PS3 Footage of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Till kingdom come

After an incredible four years, Square Enix is on the verge of summoning Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn onto the PlayStation 3. The title – which is due out on 27th August – was originally announced during Sony’s E3 press conference back in 2009. The game launched on the PC a year later, only to be completely rebuilt from scratch.

If the wait has led you to question whether the console version actually exists, the trailer embedded below should prove that it’s a legitimate product. It shows off footage from both the PC and PS3 iterations, with Sony’s system holding up fairly well. There are some framerate hiccups as far as we can tell, but it definitely looks like the same game.

Of course, the real test for the title will be how well it copes with the launch day login bombardment. Other console MMOs such as DC Universe Online have weathered the storm admirably, so there’s no real reason why this can’t repeat the feat. Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIV doesn’t exactly have the best track record at this point. Nothing would surprise us anymore.

[via vg247.com]

Epic

Epic said:

I like MMORGs but without a keyboard its going to be boring.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I kinda think it's too late. I was originally quite excited for this to come to the PS3, but that was something like 4 years ago. Now with the PS4 coming soon, I'm finding it increasingly harder to care at all.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Once I see more, then I'll make my decision. I stopped playing FF after 10, so this has to be pretty fantastic in order to bring me back.

KingKaio

KingKaio said:

The PS3 version is not yet finished. It's still being optimized. I can tell you that just a few months ago the PC version looked the same. I believe FFXIV: ARR will look great on console.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I am simultaneously excited and disappointed now that the ps4 is now so close. I may wait for the ps4 version.

Splat

Splat said:

Is the whole video just showing someone walking or running? I made it about four minutes in and gave up.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I've been playing this game on and off since it launched (including all the new betas). While I am excited for a PS3 release, it seems August is a bit too late. I'm hoping PS4 launches early December and I'd hope eventually this game moves to PS4 as well. Being that the Windows PC version and PS4 could essentially use somewhat similar codes (both x86 platforms), a port or build shouldn't take very long and would make this one seriously awesome PS4 title (the graphics, touch pad, share features..etc).

I'll definitely be getting this when it's out and I'll almost certainly play it over the PC version, but I'm also somewhat 'counting' on a PS4 release in the future.

belmont

belmont said:

I have never played a MMO before so I am not used to pay per month for a game that I sometimes won't have the time to play. However this game looks very good. Still hope for FF15 for PS4 though.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Such a small difference between PC and PS3. I'm actually interested in this title and will get it for my PS3, because I really really hate playing games with a keyboard and mouse lol If World of Warcraft was on PS3, I'd probably play that too, but since it's PC only, I played it a little and got sick of the stupid keyboard. Gonna be weird pay for a character fee and and monthly fee, I probably won't have more than the one character cause of it :P

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

it looks nice but i still wont be getting it, i just don't believe in paying to play a game i already brought i don't have FFXI either the only FF i don't own as well, the online games shouldn't be part of the main numbered series they should be their own separate thing)

if a great MMO like Guild Wars 2 can give us a game like that and not have a monthly subscription then why can't others?