Rumour: Mirror's Edge 2 Retail Listings Sprint into Sight

Got to have Faith

The original Mirror’s Edge was a sequel away from being brilliant. The first-person free-running adventure offered a unique experience in a saturated genre, but suffered from some hokey shooting sections and cheap comic book cut-scenes. It failed to cross publisher EA Games’ sales threshold, and a successor was subsequently culled from the company’s line-up. But the series could be making a comeback.

Amazon Germany recently listed the hotly anticipated follow-up for the Xbox 360, before promptly pulling the product page. Then, earlier today, the game cropped up on Amazon Italy for the Xbox One. The sudden resurgence of the title corroborates with comments made by ngmoco Sweden’s Ben Cousins, who claimed last year that it’s “general knowledge in the Stockholm [development] scene that Mirror’s Edge 2 is in production at DICE”.

But there’s a caveat. The game has yet to be listed for the PlayStation 3 or the PlayStation 4, and many are pondering whether the sequel could be the result of Microsoft and EA Games’ supposed “special relationship”. An exclusive release would certainly earn the Xbox maker some favour among hardcore gamers, as Mirror’s Edge has become something of a cult classic in recent years. But could it happen? Given the previous entry’s low sales, it doesn’t seem entirely implausible.

At the moment it’s all speculation, but if a sequel does exist, we'll be absolutely gutted if it skips the PlayStation platforms. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for good news.

[via oxm.co.uk, eurogamer.net]

I think that this is happening on Xbox One, and I am going to be an unhappy chappy if it's exclusive... Sigh, oh well.

Seems like a strong candidate for some kind of Kinect support, though, right?

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

And i refuse to buy a cable box with the only target being Americans who only want to watch sports

@Sanquine Nothing confirmed yet. The game may not even exist, and Amazon may just be muddled up. Still... I don't think that's likely.

Let's just hope that there is a PS release in the pipeline. I'm still not sure I buy the idea of a major third-party release like this going exclusive, unless it has a huge emphasis on Kinect.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@get2sammyb I bought the xbox 360 but the direction Microsoft is going really pisses me off. For me i sounds the world only exists out of Americans. Because why all the TV stuff ... I like halo but NO not a cable box with functions i can not use. Also the xbox one time online a day is going to be a problem for people living in 3rd world countries ^^ Even parts in US and EU there is really bad internet :D Haha maybe XBOXlive Gold is required to go online LOL

irken004

irken004 said:

It'd be nice to see a sequel on sony systems, but I wouldn't mourn it much if it was Xbox exclusive.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I don't think the IP is big enough to warrant exclusivity on either EA's side or MS's side of a deal. I could see it happening as, like Sammy said, EA is cozying up to MS. Maybe EA is about to pop the question and announce an "unprecedented partnership" with MS?

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I really doubt it would be a Xbox exclusive. It doesn't seem the kind if title that would do that. I don't think it would be a next gen game either, maybe put on both gens, but definitely not exclusive to the next gen, let alone exclusive to only one next gen system.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@ThreadShadow

Actually that's why it would be exclusive. You can't get a big game like Battlefield exclusive for the console, but you can get smaller games with a cult following