Gran Turismo Franchise Accelerates Past 70 Million Sales

Pedal to the metal

It’s often billed as the most popular PlayStation property, but just how big is the Gran Turismo franchise? Speaking during the series’ 15th anniversary event at Silverstone earlier today, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe’s head honcho Jim Ryan revealed that the brand has raced past an extraordinary 70 million units to date, with half of those sales coming from the European region.

The executive also took a moment to confirm that Gran Turismo 5 has now crossed the 10 million units milestone, an impressive feat for such a divisive release. Given the timing of the title, we think that the upcoming Gran Turismo 6 will struggle to achieve a similar figure – well, unless it hits the PlayStation 4 at a later date, anyway.

JGMR

JGMR said:

I'll never forget how great the first Gran Turismo really was, previewing it at shops and demo discs. I've owned all games up until part 5, and Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec remains my favorite.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Easily Sony's top franchise, I'm interested in what would be number 2. I'd guess God of War.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@JGMR yeah me too, mine came with my system. What an amazing day that was.
70 mil is a lot of endorsement lol. How many were the PSP one, though? Merely 3.86 mil, which wasn't enough to convince them to make a Vita game or two : (

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Even if a GT Vita only did 500k-750k it'd be a help to the system at this point. I don't think it'd have sent Vitas flying off the shelves but no question it would moved some.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

@Gamer83 It might help in one way, but it could likely cost a lot of money in many others. It took a huge amount of money/time to create the engine for GT5/6 on PS3 as it is. Using something like Bluepoint might MIGHT work, but it would still take a lot of tweaking to get the game to run smoothly and without issues.