Rumour: Sorcery Developer Summoning New First-Person Shooter for PS4

Weapons and wands

The Workshop, the studio behind last year’s overlooked PlayStation Move exclusive Sorcery, is working its magic on a brand new title for the PlayStation 4. Having spent the latter half of last year producing Borderlands 2 DLC, the Californian outfit is now turning its attention to Sony’s next generation machine. “We're proud to announce that The Workshop is developing for PS4,” reads a message on the developer’s website.

The team’s currently recruiting programmers and web developers, and has just added Free Realms' creative director Laralyn McWilliams to its payroll. In a press release confirming the enlisting, the new studio design director teased that her “experience in the online space will definitely be put to very good use”.

Interestingly, the personal resume of art director Jackson Robinson hints that the studio may be working on a first-person shooter. The long-term employee lists an “unreleased FPS” as his current project, with work starting back in July. The Workshop does note that it’s experimenting with “a lot of exciting projects [...] across a variety of platforms”, but it’s possible that the aforementioned shooter could be for the PS4.

We really enjoyed Sorcery, so we’re eager to see what the outfit conjures up on Sony’s next generation system. With big shows such as E3 and GamesCom rapidly approaching, we may not have to wait long to find out.

[via theworkshop.us.com, theworkshop.us.com, onelunglewis.com, neogaf.com]

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

Its certainly true that what the gaming world needs is another FPS.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

All I care about is Shadow Fall, although if whatever their working on is good, I may check it out.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My kids played the Sorcery demo and weren't impressed. I offered to buy them the game when I saw it on sale a few times for $9.99 but they still said no. I don't think they like "on rails". They didn't play Dedmund's Quest either when I bought that used for a few $ at Gamestop.

The Fable kinect game looked a whole lot better than Sorcery. I know it got panned for not being a real Fable game but I think if they combined a free roam good looking game with Nav and Move controls you could make something my kids and I would want to play.

What they need to make is a cross between a FPS version inFamous set in Hyrule. I know they kind of did that with Oblivion and Skyrim but too much emphasis on realistic graphics, not enough on superhero powers.

@rjejr Sorcery's not on rails, but it's also not perfect. For me personally, it's one of my favourite Move-exclusive games, but, let's be honest, there aren't many of those, are there?

I think this is a talented studio, though, so I'm keen to see what they do next.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I did play the Sorcery demo and didn't mind it, but not enough to pay $50 for it at the time. Was always planning to pick it up cheap at a later stage, but it has fallen off my radar to be honest.

Splat

Splat said:

I still haven't picked up Move. If it drops in price when the PS4 comes out I will probably end up pulling the trigger then.

naruball

naruball said:

Sorcery was awesome. Sure not perfect, but really great and a real shame no one bothered with it. A diamond in the rough for sure.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Hmm from what I saw of the game it wasn't what I expected. I was hoping that this would have been Sonys answer to Zelda and Fable.

I love the world and art style and would love a sequel with more content.

@Sony_70 Yeah, it definitely wasn't like Zelda. It was basically a third-person shooter with really unique controls. That said, I look back on it really fondly. It had pretty low production values, but was a lot of fun! :)