The data moguls at North American sales-tracking group the NPD have compiled figures for the video game industry in March, crowning BioShock Infinite the best-selling title of the month. Unfortunately, the physical sales sector of the US industry shrunk by 10 per cent compared to the same period in 2012, recording a total spend of $992.5 million between 3rd March and 6th April.
Hardware took the biggest hit, suffering a 32 per cent decrease year-over-year. There’s no word on how well either the PlayStation 3 or Vita fared during the window, but the Xbox 360 – which was the best-selling console of the month – suffered a contraction of 13.5 per cent compared to February, so it’s probably safe to assume that all platforms declined looking at the overall figures.
In brighter news, though, physical software sales actually bettered 2012 by two per cent, raking in a total of $602.4 million. As mentioned, Irrational Games’ brilliant BioShock Infinite shot to the top of the chart, fending off Tomb Raider and God of War: Ascension, which finished in second and fourth respectively. Elsewhere, MLB 13: The Show continued its successful streak, debuting in seventh, while The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct shuffled into ninth.
We’ve included the full list of best-sellers in the space below. Which of the following titles did you purchase in March? Let us know in the comments section.
1. Bioshock Infinite (360, PS3, PC)
2. Tomb Raider (360, PS3)
3. Gears of War: Judgment (360)
4. God of War: Ascension (PS3)
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, NWU)
6. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
7. MLB 13: The Show (PS3, PSV)
8. NBA 2k13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)
9. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (360, PS3, NWU)
10. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (360, PS3)