Feast Your Frightened Eyes on Twelve Minutes of Dark Souls 2

Are you afraid of the dark?

When was the last time that you watched a gameplay reveal where the character died? Live demos at press conferences such as E3 are usually played in ‘God Mode’ to prevent such a hiccup from occurring, but in IGN’s gameplay reveal of Dark Souls 2, we counted at least six deaths. There may have actually been more.

That was probably a calculated move by publisher Namco Bandai, as the sequel prompted some negativity after its announcement last year, when an interview indicated that the title’s difficulty may have been toned down. There’s certainly no evidence of that in this gameplay reveal, with battles demanding the same patient and strategic play.

One of the biggest improvements that developer From Software’s made to the title is in the graphics department, which director Yui Tanimura hopes will create a more believable atmosphere. You’ll now be able to light torches in order to illuminate dark areas – and also spot enemies who may be lurking in the shadows.

There are a number of set-pieces shown during the reveal, with the best focusing on a bridge surrounded by dragons. It certainly looks impressive from a technical standpoint. You can watch the whole demo through here. Are you impressed? As always, let us know what you think in the comments section below.

[via uk.ign.com]

3Above

3Above said:

I still don't like That Demon Souls Didn't This much love. BUT Should still be good .

I don't get it, myself. Visually it looks appealing, but the whole "SURPRISE, YOU'RE DEAD" loop does nothing to endear itself to me. I understand that learning the game is part of the appeal — but it puts me off.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Dark Souls is a franchise that would appeal to me because of its RPG nature. However, I just don't have the patience. The difficulty doesn't put me off, but the amount of time I'd have to spend doing things over and over would drive me mad.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Wow people give it a chance these games aren't as difficult as people make them out to be.

Scrible

Scrible said:

Finally, a company not sugar coating anything, show me what your game is ACTUALLY about and quit babying the REAL players

pikku

pikku said:

I don't have time to watch the video yet, so excuse me if it's obvious from the vid, but is this PS3 footage or PS4 footage? I'm going to be getting the PS3 version either way, just curious.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

It looks kinda weird honestly. What I didn't really get was that most enemies did almost no damage to him (even with a torch!), yet some things killed him instantly? It's clearly a WIP but I'm hoping they don't add simulated difficulty to the mix in order to "be harder". Demon's souls felt perfect. If you died, it was because you made a mistake. No other ways about it. Dark souls was like that too for the most part, but lacked the same flow as Demon's.