Disney Dumps LucasArts in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Star Wars 1313's fate not looking good

Disney’s questionable treatment of non-Star Wars: Episode VII content has continued today with the closure of legendary video game arm LucasArts. Following the Mickey Mouse marker's acquisition of LucasFilm along with its various subsidiaries late last year, the company has opted to shutter a large portion of its $4.05 billion investment.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimising the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," a company representative told Game Informer.

"As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organisation," the spokesperson added. "We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles." Those casualties top out at around 150 employees according to Kotaku, with both Star Wars 1313 and downloadable shooter Star Wars: First Assault on shaky ground.

Apparently, the company is currently considering its options with regards to the future of the aforementioned titles. "It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans," a source said. "We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production. There's always a possibility that [Star Wars 1313] can still come out via licensing."

For now, the celebrated firm will have to make do with the awful Kinect Star Wars being its last ever published product. Fortunately, it will be best remembered for its wealth of adventure games, including Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, and The Secret of Monkey Island.

Over the past few years, Disney has closed down a slew of talented studios, including Black Rock, Propaganda Games, and Junction Point. The company's currently hard at work on Disney Infinity, a multiplatform sandbox title that uses toys in a similar fashion to Activision’s popular Skylanders series. For the sake of the remaining employees at the organisation, we hope that it’s a huge success.

In the meantime, though, our thoughts go out to all of those that have lost their job today.

[via gameinformer.com, kotaku.com, gameinformer.com, joystiq.com]

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Ah crap.
I honestly had high hopes that Disney would put the vigor back in to LucasArts. Let's hope they can buddy up with some good studios.

Big_Gamer

Big_Gamer said:

This is sad. Then Again LucasArts havent really done any good games for quite a while (altough published some good ones).

I honestly thought they'd at least give Star Wars 1313 a chance. That game had plenty of buzz behind it, and genuinely looked cool. It's not official dead yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@Big_Gamer True. In fairness, my favourite Star Wars game (I'll add just for clarity-not the best, but my favourite) Rogue Leader was licensed.

3Above

3Above said:

I hope they lisence it out to Square Enix and Tetsuya Nomura so he can make a less juvenile Kingdom Hearts with Star Wars characters.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Wow what are they thinking? I just bought Jedi Academy last week, which in all honesty, probably completes my collection of every LucasArts pc game ever made. As a kid, 9/10 games I owned were LucasArts... Seriously a shame to hear! Boycott Disney!

Epic

Epic said:

and this is kids why you shouldn't never cancel a game like Battlefront 3

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

And so Disney's inevitable destruction of a an icon begins. They don't and can't understand...

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

All I wanted was aStar Wars 1313 and thanks to Disney, I may never get it. Thanks a lot, Disney.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Thanks a bunch Disney you foolish corporate entity. I was looking forward to Star Wars 1313.
Lucas should have sold the Monkey Island rites to Double Fine! How are we going to get a console release of Monkey Island 3 now?

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

in other words Disney are going to whore out the franchise to the highest bidder, way to go Disney you B******s (sorry for my bad language)

they could have at least finished 1313 because it was all but done apparently