Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Stalks the PlayStation Vita Later This Year

Former Metroid Prime developers shining a new light on the Dark Knight

If the announcement of Batman: Arkham Origins for the PlayStation 3 already had you dancing around in black gym pants with a balaclava on your head, then you may want to stop reading this article before you do something that you regret. Game Informer has confirmed that there’s a second title starring the Caped Crusader poised to launch later this year – and it’s for the PlayStation Vita.

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is in development at Armature Studio, and promises a 2.5D adventure with Metroid-style exploration. Those that recognise the developer's name will probably be aware that the Austin-based outfit was founded by several of the leads behind the Metroid Prime Trilogy. Yeah, we've got your attention now, haven't we?

Sadly, there’s very little additional information available, but the title’s supposedly due out on 25th October – the same day as its console counterpart. To be honest, we’re more interested in this than the fully-fledged prequel in development at Warner Bros. Games Montreal. Do you share our anticipation for the portable spin-off? Throw us a line in the comments section below.

[via gameinformer.com]

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO ...... Please be good, just noticed it comes out the same day as tearaway.

I'm really excited to learn more about this. If it's what I'm imagining in my head, then it could be pretty special.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Members of the Metroid Prime team making an old-schoolish Metroid-style game? Couldn't give a toss whether its Batman or My Little Pony, just count me in.

brendon987

brendon987 said:

Now that a big Vita annoucement. Around September/October will be a great month for the Vita. Batman,KZ,AC,Tearaway.

3Above

3Above said:

Darn, too close to the possible PS4 release. I cant spare the cash!

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

You might've overheard me say in the comments under 'Castle of Illusion' that I'm "rarely ever truly happy". Well, this is one of those rare instances. In my life, my entire FREAKING life, there has never been a great handheld Batman title. FINALLY.

Now, I ain't really a fan of these ridiculous "Metroidvania" clones. It's a pathetically cheap attempt to extend the lifespan. I dream of days gone by when side-scrollin games were about action and platforming, and difficulty was charged with extendin the lifespan. That being said, Armature is in charge of this game. They were trained in the importance of quality by the master Miyamoto himself. I have so much faith an trust in these dudes I'd let em take my girlfriend to Vegas for a week

moomoo

moomoo said:

Ok, this is what I'm talking about. Exclusive games from high quality franchises and from high quality devs.
What I don't understand is why it's comining out in Q4. Does every thing have to come out in Q4? You've got to spread it out from a system perspective (yeah, I get that it'll sell more copies due to gamer interest at the time, but still.)

divinelite

divinelite said:

If only the other title of assassin creed is truly vita title, I would be too happy to forget everything is in a month release lol

belmont

belmont said:

A discounted bundle on PSN with both PS3 and Vita versions would work for me.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'm more interested in this than the non-Rocksteady console Origins game. Hopefully some more info is released soon.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@rastamadeus As in. I'd rather one wasn't a port of the other. Both systems are completely different, look at the F1 port-it's a lazy one I know, but it's well below what the Vita's capable of in terms of graphics.
Superherohype have just posted pictures. I'd say given the aspect ratio that they're from the Vita version, so it's possible they're leading with Vita, or at least just sharing assets.

With regards to the 3DS/Vita situation, the good news is that these guys at least have experience with the Sony system, as they helped port the MGS Collection. I think this will be fine, but I can understand the concerns after the disappointing LEGO games.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I can't decide which version to get the one for the 3DS or the Vita although when the same game comes out for both 3DS and Vita I usually pick the Vita version unless the 3DS has a good exclusive and the only time that has ever happened was with Unchained Blades because the 3DS bottom screen could always displayed the map.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@KALofKRYPTON Making two different games would be expensive for them (would they do that for PS3 and 360? No). Also why would they seeing as Vita is still not firing on all cylinders? They'll be the same game and as long as it's a good game then who the hell cares?

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@charlesnarles: I think with 2.5D they mean graphics in 3D (hence: polygons) but gameplay from a classical 2D-oldschool look from the side-perspective. Check out a video for Shadow Complex, that's a game whose graphics have been refered to as 2.5D.

On the topic: this game sounds interesting, indeed. Seems like finally there's some decent games on the Vita, with Tearaway coming out and some other cool stuff, not to speak of the expected PS4/Vita cross functionality. Hence, I'm more and more tempted to buy a Vita.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@rastamadeus Let me be clear. Lego games, F1- games built for the 3DS then ported to the Vita, warts & all.
What I would like is for the games to be developed in tandem, sharing assets, core gameplay and the like, but just to be the best they can be for each system. That's what I mean.

Enobmah_Shards

Enobmah_Shards said:

I hope both versions don't end up being watered-down for a standalone game in regards to the consoles. :(