The Witcher 3 Developer Was One of the First European Studios to Get a PS4

Polish studio excited by platform's potential

CD Projekt Red’s critically acclaimed The Witcher series will finally complete the long trek onto PlayStation next year, when The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt stakes its claim on the PlayStation 4. Despite previous entries in the series skipping Sony’s ecosystem, managing director Adam Badowski has revealed that the Polish developer was one of the first studios in Europe to receive a development kit for the next generation platform.

In an interview with Eurogamer.net, the executive explained that the outfit has had access to the PS4 for about six months, and that it’s big fans of the console’s simplified architecture. "This time around the situation is much easier for developers," he beamed. "It's a good approach."

Badowski continued that he’s also fond of the console’s ability to play games while they're downloading – even if it does create some development headaches. "There are some technical constraints [and] goals related to this feature, but nothing extraordinary," he continued, adding that he thinks it was a “great decision” by the platform holder to include such functionality.

As for the DualShock 4’s unique inputs, the developer isn’t sure how it’s going to use them yet. "The touchpad gives us extra opportunities," he added. "But it's too early to talk about because it's a highly specific thing and we need more time to develop something cool." The same is true of the PS4’s connectivity to Vita.

Asked whether CD Projekt Red’s newly established alliance with Sony could result in The Witcher 2 finally launching on the PlayStation 3, Badowski was tellingly coy. "I can't confirm anything," he laughed. "We'll see. We'll see.” Fingers crossed, then, huh?

[via eurogamer.net]

Really excited for this. Haven't played any of The Witcher games (unfortunately), but always hear great things!

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@get2sammyb I'm with you on that. My blood is starting to boil with excitement after reading this. The Withcher 3 will be a great addition to the PS4's library and i'm glad that the download play fuctionality isn't causing too much trouble for developers.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

CD Projekt Red have always loved PCs so I suppose this makes sense, seeing as the PS4 is essentially a gaming PC in terms of hardware...

It's going to be very interesting to see how PS4 games stack up to their PC counterparts.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Ginkgo you can get it on steam for $20 if you have a good pc. It's also on Xbox I don't think ps3 has it unfortunately. I just got rid of my 360 today and it was hard for me to do mainly because of me having witcher 2 for it but the game is so good I'm going to just buy it again on steam

As far as witcher3 I'll get it on the ps4 day one no problem

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

great news, i wonder if there is any chance of CD Projekt Red bringing the Witcher 1 and 2 to the PS4 as well?

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@LDXD : I don't have and XBox. I know you can get it for PC, and have come very close to picking it up many times. Not sure my PC would cope without some love (i.e. upgrade) plus I like gaming on the couch with a large TV and surround sound.
Here's hoping for PS3/PS4.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Ginkgo yeah I'm the same way I love my pc it can run anything but I much rather a couch and my large flat screen, it would be cool if they included all three games on the ps4 one day I still haven't played the first one